English Proficiency Tests
Students who meet the Florida Board of Governors requirements for college readiness through SAT or ACT sub-section scores in Verbal/Reading and English sections may be academically qualified for admission to FAU and exempt from English Proficiency exams. Students MUST meet the minimum qualifications for each sub-score of at least one test:
- Reading – 24
- Writing & Language – 25
Digital SAT Research Study
- Evidence Based Reading & Writing Score - 490
- Reading – 19
- English – 17
Students who do not meet the above score threshold, can provide proof of English Proficiency by meeting ONE of the following requirements:
- Completion of at least three years of secondary education from a high school based in the United States or abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
- Completion of at least three years of secondary education from a high school based in a country where English is the majority native-speaking language, or where English is the primary language of instruction starting in the primary grades.
- Completion of at least 30 post-secondary credits, including ENC 1101 and ENC 1102, or the equivalent, with a grade of C or higher, from a U.S. regionally accredited post-secondary institution or from a recognized post-secondary institution abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
- Completion of at least 60 post-secondary credits or an associate degree or higher from a U.S. regionally accredited postsecondary institution or from a recognized post-secondary institution abroad with full curriculum of instruction in English.
If a non-English speaking student does not meet the SAT/ACT sub-section minimums or any of the categories listed above, they are required to submit an English proficiency exam or complete the Intensive English Institute Academic Track as proof of English proficiency. FAU will only accept the following exams to demonstrate English proficiency:
|English Proficiency Provider||Minimum Scores||Websites|
|TOEFL||iBT (80)/PBT (550)||www.ets.org/toefl|
|Cambridge English Language Assessment||180||www.cambridgeenglish.org|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)||55||www.pearsonpte.com|
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||105||englishtest.duolingo.com|
|FAU Intensive English Institute||Level VI (Bridge)||www.fau.edu/intensive-english/academic-track/|
|Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKDSE)||5||www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/hkdse/|
|International GCSE IGSE English Grade||C/4|
|International Baccalaureate (IB)||English Higher Level 6|
|Study Group English for University Studies||score 65%|
For students not meeting the English proficiency, please see our Conditional Admissions Track (CAT) Intensive English Institute.