How do I determine if I'm a dependent student or an independent student?

If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you will be classified as an independent student for the determination of residency for tuition purposes (documentation proving independent status will be required):
  • Will you be 24 years old or older by the first day of classes for the term for which you wish to enroll at FAU?
  • At the beginning of the school year will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  • As of today, are you married? ( Answer "yes" if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Are both of your parents deceased, or are you  (or were you until age 18 ) a ward or dependent of the court or state?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Do you provide a minimum of 51% of your own support? (Documents such as tax return, W-2 forms, pay stubs, employer earning verification will be required.  Please see Proving Financial Independence Section)
 Last Modified 12/21/17