October 15th, 2018
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2019
The Distinction through Discovery (DtD) Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Committee is seeking applications from faculty/undergraduate student teams for summer research projects to be supported under the SURF program. To submit your project for consideration, faculty must complete an Online Application form providing details about the project and the faculty/student team by January 15th at 5:00PM.
Previously Awarded Projects/Teams:
SURF projects are ten-week, intensive summer immersion research experiences for FAU undergraduate students. Each SURF award allocates $4,000 in support of each chosen project. These funds will primarily be used to support to the student researcher during the summer ($3,100), with $900 for materials and supplies for the project, and for the faculty to use at their discretion (i.e., as a supplemental faculty stipend, for faculty professional development, for travel support for the SURF fellow, an additional stipend to the SURF fellow).
Faculty/student teams from all FAU colleges are encouraged to apply. It is anticipated that there will be one SURF award per college. Either the faculty or student can initiate the team partnership, but the application must be submitted by the faculty member. Faculty interested in applying should have a potential student fellow identified, though changes may be submitted to the SURF Committee. Please find student eligibility information here (APPENDIX F). In addition to the events and activities listed in Appendix F, OURI will offer professional development workshops and guidance on joining professional organizations. Past SURF fellows will be available to consult with and mentor new SURF fellows through the workshops and through social events.
Please complete the Online Application which includes the following sections:
- Faculty information
- Description of the project, timeline, and mentorship
- Research compliance information (APPENDIX B)
- Information about the potential SURF student fellow
This application is managed through FluidReview, an applications based system. The link to FluidReview is https://ouri.fluidreview.com/. Please read through all of these instructions before clicking on the link.
- After clicking on the link, you will land on the Log-In page for OURI's FluidReview. If you have an FAU username and password (i.e., an active FAU email account), please click on the "Sign In or Register" button ONLY. You will be redirected to FAU's single sign-on page where you will sign in using your FAU credentials (NOTE: this may require a push notification).
- Once you are signed into OURI's FluidReview, you will need to complete the Eligibility task. This is a one-time form that determines to which applications/programs you are eligible to apply.
- Once your Eligibility is complete, click on the blue button labeled "View Programs."
- Search for the Undergraduate Research Grant application that has "Apply Now" button on the far right side.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the prompts.
- You must submit your application once all tasks are complete.
Faculty/student team proposals will be peer-reviewed and evaluated by the DtD SURF Committee. Decisions will be based on the quality of the project, feasibility of the timeline, strength of the faculty/student team, and potential student benefits. Once SURF projects have been selected, faculty/student teams will be notified. Funds will be transferred to the faculty member’s department once all research compliance issues have been resolved (if applicable).
- Application Deadline: January 15 at 5:00pm
- Notification of awardees: end of February
- Student employment requirements completed: end of April (if possible)
- SURF project commences: mid-May
- Student presents findings at FAU: Prior to graduation
- Student submits FAURJ manuscript: following Spring semester Please see FAURJ website for application deadlines
*Should these dates fall on a weekend day or holiday, the deadline will become the next business day.
Appendices needed to complete the Online Application:
Questions related to the SURF program should be directed to email@example.com.