Lisa Clayton, D.O., M.B.S.
Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education | Chair of the Emergency Medicine Department, Program Director of the Emergency Medicine Residency, and Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
BC 71, Room 335
p: 561-737-7733, Ext 87411
Department: Emergency Medicine
Lisa Clayton, D.O., M.B.S., FACEP, FAAEM is an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine. She serves as the Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education, Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine and the Program Director for the Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Emergency Medicine Residency Program. She also works clinically as an emergency physician at Bethesda Hospital East and Delray Medical Center.
Dr. Clayton completed her undergraduate degree at the College of New Jersey in Trenton, NJ where she began her pre-med journey with a Bachelor of Science in Biology. After graduating college, she spent two years serving and an independent contractor performing medical research at the United States Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory in Fort Rucker, Alabama. She went on to earned a Masters in Biomedical Sciences for University of Medicine and Dentistry and her medical degree from Ohio University.
Dr. Clayton completed her emergency medicine residency at Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ and continued her education at Morristown completing a fellowship in Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
Dr. Clayton developed a love for medical education during residency. She joined the emergency medicine residency leadership team at FAU in 2016 and was an integral part of the creation and development of the residency program initially serving as the Assistant Program Director. Dr. Clayton transitioned to the role of Program Director for the residency program in 2019.
- 2004: BS in Biology, The College of New Jersey, Trenton, NJ
- 2006: MBS, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Stratford, NJ
- 2010: DO, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- 2010 – 2013: Resident, Emergency Medicine, Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ
- 2013 – 2014: Fellow, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ
Florida Atlantic University
- 2023 – present: Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- 2022 – present: Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine
- 2022 – present: Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
- 2019 – present: Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2018 – 2019: Associate Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2016 – 2018: Assistant Program Director, Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2016 – 2022: Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
- 2016 – present: Core Faculty, Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2014 – 2016: Emergency Medical Associates, Attending Physician, Emergency Medicine
- 2016 – present: Bethesda Hospital East, Boynton Beach, FL
- 2017 – present: Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, FL
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Alter SM, Temple CA, Solano JJ, Hughes PG, Clayton LM, Shih RD. Time from hospital presentation to head imaging in White, Black, and Hispanic geriatric trauma patients. Am J Emerg Med. 2022 Jul 1;59:152-155. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2022.06.056. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35868208.
- Alter SM, †Temple CA, Solano JJ, Hughes PG, Clayton LM, Shih RD. Time from Hospital Presentation to Head Imaging in White, Black, and Hispanic Geriatric Trauma Patients. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. In press.
- †Khan M, Alter SM, Clayton LM, Hughes PG, Shih RD, Solano JJ. Age Adjusted D-dimer Cutoffs for Pulmonary Embolism in a Geriatric Population Utilizing a D-dimer Unit Assay. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2022;51:103-7.
- Solano JJ, Clayton LM, †Parks DJ, †Polley SE, Hughes PG, Hennekens CH, Shih RD, Alter SM. Prehospital Ketamine Administration for Excited Delirium with Illicit Substance Co-Ingestion and Subsequent Intubation in the Emergency Department. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2021 Sep 23:1-5.
- Hughes PG, Alter SM, †Greaves SW, †Mazer BA, Solano JJ, Shih RD, Clayton LM, Trinh NQ, Lottenberg L, Hughes MJ. Acute and Delayed Intracranial Hemorrhage in Head-injured Patients on Warfarin versus Direct Oral Anticoagulant Therapy. Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock. 2021 Jul-Sep;14(3):123-7.
- Gable BD, Misra A, Doos DM, Hughes PG, Clayton LM, Ahmed RA. Disaster Day: A Simulation-Based Disaster Medicine Curriculum for Novice Learners. J Med Educ Curric Dev. 2021 Jun.
- †Warees M, Clayton LM, Slane M. Crutches. StatPearls. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Aug 28.
- Alter SM, †Mazer BA, Solano JJ, Shih RD, Hughes MJ, Clayton LM, †Greaves SW, Trinh NQ, Hughes PG. Antiplatelet Therapy is Associated with a High Rate of Intracranial Hemorrhage in Head Injury Patients. Trauma Surgery and Acute Care Open. 2020 Nov 25;5(1):e000520.
- Shih RD, Louis PM, Alter SM, Hughes PG, Solano JJ, Clayton LM. Syncope: A Very Atypical Presentation of COVID-19. European Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 2020 Nov 13; 2(6): 1-3.
- †Parks DJ, Alter SM, Shih RD, Solano JJ, Hughes PG, Clayton LM. Rescue Intubation in the Emergency Department After Prehospital Ketamine Administration for Agitation. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 2020:1-5. doi:10.1017/S1049023X20001168.
- †Mendelsohn R, †Taveras A, †Mazer B, Clayton LM. "Euglycemic Diabetic Ketoacidosis Precipitated By SGLT-2 Inhibitor Use, Pericarditis, and Fasting". Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine. 2020;4(3):389-392. doi:10.5811/cpcem.2020.4.46056. PMID: 32926693.
- †Klein JG, Alter SM, Paley RJ, Hughes PG, Clayton LM, Benda W, Shih RD, Solano JJ. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at a Florida Hospital Following Hurricane Irma. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019 Sep;37(9): 1800-01. PMID: 30878412.
- Alter SM, †Haim ED, †Sullivan AH, Clayton LM. Intubation of prehospital patients with curved laryngoscope blade is more successful than with straight blade. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2018. PMID:29463438.
- Canelas CM, Shih RD, Clayton LM, Giroski LJ, Alter SM, Feinstein S, Learman LA. Repeat acute abdomen and hemoperitoneum during the same pregnancy due to a ruptured ectopic treated by salpingostomy American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2017;36(6):942.e1-942.e3. PMID: 28104324.
- Caceres JW, Alter SM, Shih RD, Fernandez JD, Williams FK, Paley R, Benda W, Clayton LM. Standardized physician-administered patient-centered discharge protocol improves patients‘comprehension. Southern Medical Journal. 2017;110(5):359-362. PMID: 28464178.
Honors and Awards
- 2007 – present: Sigma Sigma Phi
- 2022: Leadership Award, FAU Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2021: Palm Beach County Medical Society Healthcare Educator Hero Award
- 2021: Leonard Tow Humanism Award from FAU
- 2021: Gold Humanism Honor Society Inductee
- 2020: Leadership and Advocacy Award FAU Emergency Medicine Residency
- 2019: Florida College of Emergency Physicians (FCEP) 8th annual SimWARS: Residency Simulation Competition. Symposium by the Sea. First Place Award
- 2019: ACEP Teaching Fellowship – Top Abstract Selection – “Longitudinal Curriculum for the Emergency Medicine Resident”
- 2019: AAMC Early Women in Leadership
- 2016: Top Contributor to the Residency - Morristown Medical Center
- 2021 – Present: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, Education Committee
- 2020 – Present: American College of Emergency Physicians, Education Committee
- 2016 – Present: Council of Residency Directors in Emergency Medicine
- 2016 – Present: American Medical Woman’s Association
- 2016 – Present: Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine
- 2013 – Present: Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- 2010 – Present: American College of Emergency Physicians
- 2010 – Present: American Academy of Emergency Medicine
- 2006 – Present: American Osteopathic Association