Department Joint BS/MS Degree Program
Benefits of the Program
- Students can earn their master's degree in one year after receiving their bachelor's degree.
- Students take graduate courses in their senior year for both the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- The GRE requirement is waived.
Joint BS/MS programs
The EECS department offers the following Joint BS/MS programs:
- BS Computer Science to MS Computer Science or MS Artificial Intelligence or MS Biomedical Engineering.
- BS Computer Engineering to MS Computer Engineering or MS Artificial Intelligence or MS Biomedical Engineering.
- BS Electrical Engineering to MS Electrical Engineering or MS Computer Engineering or MS Biomedical Engineering or MS Artificial Intelligence.
What are the Steps and Requirements for Applying to the Program?
- A cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better at the end of the junior year with 90 credits or more of coursework completed.
- The GRE is not required for this special program.
- Apply for graduate admission at the Graduate College or online at
- Students may opt for the thesis or non-thesis option in their M.S. degree.
- If the thesis option is selected students will need a letter of recommendation from their potential thesis advisor.
- Admission to the program must be completed at least one semester prior to the start of the M.S. degree program.
- Students can take graduate courses in their senior year, with the approval of their academic advisor, that will apply to both the B.S. and the M.S. degree. A maximum of nine credits can be applied to both the B.S. and the M.S. degree.
- Students must retain their enrollment in order to remain in the program.
- Fill out the following forms:
How Long Does the Program Take to Complete?
The program allows for a maximum of nine credits of graduate course work to count towards both bachelor’s and master’s degrees as long as the combined program totals a minimum of 150 credits. Note that the types of courses that can be taken vary by degree program. Depending on the program, students will be able to finish within one year if they are enrolled as a full-time student. Students who successfully complete their M.S. degree within one year after their B.S. degree, will also be presented with a certificate of recognition for their achievement.