The IDEAL Program has been designed for the self-motivated teacher leader seeking to strengthen their leadership effectiveness, whether as a grade level team leader, department chair, assistant principal, principal, or district official. While we welcome applicants with this profile, we require that they be endorsed by their current principal or other supervisor within their organization. One of the core principles of the IDEAL program is that mentorship is a key component in developing leaders. For that reason, the initial step in the admissions process is for candidates to ensure they will be endorsed by the school principal based on their demonstrated leadership characteristics. The specific requirements for admission are processed by the Graduate College and the Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methodology.
Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university. Additional program requirements can be found at the Graduate College site page .
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 in upper division coursework*
- Three years’ teaching experience by program start
- Letter of application with a statement of personal goals
- Two letters of recommendation (one of these must be by the school administrator/mentor)
- School Administrator Sponsor Commitment Letter – School Leaders
*GRE not required
Additional Application Requirements
Applicants who satisfy the requirements listed above will be invited to complete the admissions process by participating in the following:
- Application Essay (One-week turnaround)
- Essay response to a case (24-hour turnaround)
- Interview: Acceptance to the program is not final until a formal interview has been conducted in person or by video-conference.
Applications are due in the Graduate College September 15 of each year. We enroll one cohort per year, starting each Spring. Learn more here.
Proof of Residency and Immunization
To qualify for in-state tuition, you must provide proof that you have been a Florida resident for the past 12 months. Check the Registrar’s Office for information on the required documentation.
As an FAU student, you are required to submit proof of immunization before beginning your program. Feel free to contact Student Health Services. If you are requesting an exemption from immunizations, the process is detailed under the link as well.
Program costs: For information on tuition costs and financial aid please click on the links below.