Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines
Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines are established and approved by the Graduate College in conjunction with the University Graduate Council (UGC). Click here to view Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines. Submission requirements are included in the guidelines. The checklist is a required document to be submitted with your final manuscript package.
|Graduate Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines (Effective Summer 2014)||
Thesis & Dissertation
Final Manuscript Package Checklist
The Graduate College provides “Graduate College Resources for Academic Integrity” and “Originality Check Procedures”.
The Graduate College provides students with access to TurnItIn accounts so that they can conduct self-checks of their theses or dissertations and create Originality Reports. Supervisory Committee Chairs also have the option to run manuscripts through plagiarism detection software.
Important Thesis or Dissertation Documents and Submission Requirements
All students are required to complete the following:
- Transmittal Memo certifies that a thesis or dissertation is free of plagiarism. Upon a successful defense, students should obtain obtain signatures from all committee members for their signature page and Transmittal Memo. (The deadline for this document varies for thesis and dissertation students - click here to see deadlines.)
- ETD - electronic thesis or dissertation Students should submit their ETD after submitting their final manuscript package. See the deadlines for your graduation semester.
In addition to completing and and submitting a Transmittal Memo and ETD, all doctoral students must complete their mandatory SED (Survey for Earned Doctorates).
- Students can complete the online SED by calling 1-800-248-8649 or e-mailing SED@norc.org to receive registration information. After completing the online SED, students should receive the SED completion confirmation via email. Students must print out SED completion confirmation and include a copy of it in their final manuscript package.
All students must submit a FINAL MANUSCRIPT PACKAGE. The Final Manuscript Package will be accepted after it has been placed inside ONE of these two types of packages:
- A box or boxes (for students that are required to submit paper copies to their department and/or college)
- A padded envelope (for students that are only required to submit an ETD)
Note: Students are solely responsible for placing all components of their final manuscript inside the correct package BEFORE submitting it to the Graduate College.
All students must complete and include the following components in their final manuscript package:
- The Final Manuscript Checklist (fill out the top portion)
- Pages 4 and 5 of the ProQuest agreement click here to access the PDF version of the ProQuest Agreement
- All students are required to publish their thesis or dissertation. They must choose between Traditional Publishing OR Open Access Publishing.
- Traditional Publishing Fees are $25 and Open Access Publishing Fees are $120
- An additional copy of the title page – to be attached to pages 4 and 5 of the ProQuest Agreement
- An additional copy of the abstract page(s) – to be attached to pages 4 and 5 of the ProQuest Agreement
- Publishing Fees (check or money order) made payable to ProQuest (for either Traditional Publishing OR Open Access Publishing) **
- Binding Fees (check or money order) made payable to FAU (only for students who are required to submit a paper copy or copies to their department and/or college)**
- The binding fee for one paper copy is $11.70
- The binding fee for two paper copies is $23.40
- A paper copy pf the SED completion confirmation (only for doctoral students)
OPTIONAL: Students who are interested in submitting the OPTIONAL COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION FORM (page 6 of the ProQuest Agreement) must include the completed form AND the copyright fees in their final manuscript package.
- The Copyright Registration fee is $55; check or money order should be made payable to ProQuest**
- The final manuscript copy or copies of the thesis or dissertation (for students who are required to submit a paper copy or copies to their department and/or their college)
- Students should insert a colored paper or divider between copies to indicate where one copy ends and the other copy begins
**Note: The student’s Z number and the date should be included on all of the student’s checks and/or money orders.
Please contact us for further information at email@example.com.
NOTE: The signature page format must be approved by the Graduate College prior to obtaining your committee's signatures.
The Graduate College offers periodic workshops on Thesis and Dissertation writing and how to properly format a Thesis or Dissertation.
The Degree Completion staff members within the Graduate College are available to assist students with formatting questions and University regulations pertaining to a thesis or dissertation. However, they do not provide editing services. The Degree Completion staff is available by appointment only. To schedule assistance with your manuscript, please email GraduateWriting@fau.edu.
Click here to view Dissertation Defense Announcements for the current semester.