FAU Federal Direct Loan Process
All Direct Loans are processed through the U.S. Department of Education. The FAU Direct Loan process consists of the following steps:
- The student receives an OFFER of a direct loan from the FAU Financial Aid Office as part of their financial aid package.
- The student accepts the direct loan through the "Accept Award Offer" function on MyFAU via FAU Self-Service. If the student wishes to accept only a partial amount of the offered loan, they may specify the partial amount requested online in the appropriate field.
- Students who have not received a Federal Direct Loan through FAU since September 2002 must complete Entrance Counseling prior to receiving funds. This can be completed by going to the website: www.studentloans.gov. After logging in, select Entrance Counseling from the Manage My Direct Loan menu box and follow the on screen instructions.
- Students receiving a Federal Direct Loan for the FIRST TIME must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) with the U.S. Department of Education prior to receiving their first loan disbursement. This requirement must be completed online by going to the website: www.studentloans.gov. After logging in, select
Sign Master Promissory Note
from the Manage My Direct Loan menu box and follow the on screen instructions. The student will be required to use their FAFSA pin to complete the electronic MPN online. For additional information regarding the PIN, visit the office PIN Site.
- After the above steps have been satisfied, eligible students will have their loan information transmitted to the U.S. Department of Education. Federal Direct Loans will begin to disburse during the third week of classes each semester to eligible students enrolled at least half-time.