Frequently Asked Questions
Financial Aid 101 FAQs
The FSA ID ― a username and password ― has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. This guide will give you step by step instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: Students receive their account statements via their FAU E-mail address ONLY.
NOTE: For students under 18 years of age, please download and submit the Parental Short Term Advance Application to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Register as early as possible to trigger summer aid.
- Community College Honors / Phi Theta Kappa (CCHPTK)
- Community College Scholars / All Florida Academica Team (CCSSCH)
- Transfer Educational Achievement Award (TEASCH)
NOTE: If you are a graduate student, you may go to studentloans.gov and apply for a Graduate PLUS loan.
Graduate Students FAQs
Graduate students may also be eligible for Perkins loans and FAU Graduate Grant. These funds are limited and awarded on a first come, first served basis, so be sure to complete your FAFSA early (prior to our January 1st priority deadline or by March 1st, the 2nd priority deadline).
Click here for additional information including interest rates, borrowing limits, and how and when your loan will be repaid.
You can think of your cost of attendance as the upper limit of the maximum amount of financial aid (including grants, scholarships and federal and private loans) that you may receive for the year. Your cost of attendance is determined by your academic classification (graduate student), residency status, housing status, and enrollment status.
Honors College FAQs
PLEASE NOTE: International students should not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They are not eligible for federal/state/institutional grants and loans.
PLEASE NOTE: Freshman students who are deemed early admit (dual enrolled) should not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (fafsa). They are not eligible for federal/state/institutional grants and loans at this time.
PLEASE NOTE: Students receive their account statements via their FAU E-mail address only.
Self Service FAQs
- Click on "View Financial Aid Information"
- Click on the Financial Aid tab or link.
- Click on "Eligibility" to review student requirements.
- Select "Student Requirements" and select the Aid Year (if prompted).
NOTE: If you select Accept Partial in the award decision column, then you will need to enter an amount in the Accept Partial Amount column. Make sure that you read the Terms and Conditions of Awards Document and then click the Submit Decision button when finished.
If students want to accept ALL awards offered without making changes to the amounts, students can click on the Accept Full Amount All Awards button.
Short Term Advance FAQs
- Purchasing textbooks
- Emergency funds relating to educational expenses
- Unanticipated living expenses
- be degree-seeking
- be enrolled at least half-time
- have an FAU institutional GPA of 2.0
- NOT have an outstanding balance with the University
- establish direct deposit
- be at least 18 years old (if not, the Parental Short Term Advance application will need to be submitted. This form is located on the Forms to Download section of the Financial Aid website.