TIPS FOR ATTENDING A CAREER EVENT
- Research companies of interest. For the most up-to-date list, visit OWL CareerLink and click on Career Events.
- Get your résumé and cover letter critiqued at the Career Center, and be sure to print extra copies on the day of the fair.
- Attend professional development workshops and career events prior to the fairs, click here to prepare for the fair.
- Make sure to prepare an outfit before the event. For tips on "what to wear", or if you need a professional outfit, visit the OWL Professional Clothes Closet.
- Schedule an appointment for a mock interview, to practice answering interview questions and to help prepare your 1- Minute elevator pitch.
DURING THE FAIR
- Arrive early, bring multiple copies of your résumé and check in at the Career Center table for any questions while you are there.
- Establish eye contact, smile and present a firm handshake while introducing yourself and conduct yourself professionally the entire time, even when you are in line to speak to a recruiter
- Display confidence, enthusiasm, and highlight 2- 3 selling points that make you qualified, such as, your major and experience.
- Thank the employers for their time and ask for a business card for future contact.
- Visit multiple tables and walk the entire event before deciding to leave, you may be surprised and meet with a company you are unfamiliar with and learn about unique opportunities.
- Make notes on business cards collected during fair.
- Follow-up with a call, thank you e-mail or add the person you met on LinkedIn.
- Apply for on-campus interview or positions through OWL CareerLink (if required).
- Schedule an appointment for a mock interview, or attend an interviewing workshop to start preparing for the next step.