MSW How to Apply

What items do I have to complete to apply for the MSW program?

  • A completed Graduate College application (online), which includes:
    – Graduate College required information
    – School of Social Work required information:
    (1) Personal Statement (uploaded into the online application)
    (2) Three references for recommendations (references will be emailed the online recommendation form)
  • Official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended submitted to the Graduate College (if you are not an FAU graduate or have attended other institutions since leaving FAU.)


When do I need to have everything in?

The deadline is May 1 .

Who should I use for a reference?

Your references should be either academic or professional sources. We do not accept personal references. Professional references include supervisors/managers, volunteer coordinators or professors/instructors.

What should be in the personal statement and how long should it be?

Directions for the personal statement are in the online application. There are specific questions you will need to address.

When can I start the program?

Students start courses in the summer or fall.

Full time advanced standing students can start taking electives in the summer, then enter their specialist field placement and curriculum in the fall. If you are applying for advanced standing, and would like to start your electives in the summer, you should select the summer term when completing your application.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for answers to a list of frequently asked questions regarding the MSW application process.

We're Here to Help

For any questions regarding the Master of Social Work degree program, please contact Joy McClellan(Program Coordinator) at

For questions about advising, please contact the College Advising Center at 561-297-2316.