The role of the RA (Resident Assistant) is to enable student success through the development of enhanced learning opportunities and enriching educational experiences within a supportive campus and residential environment.
Through targeted one-on-one conversations, and relationship/community building, the RA will help our residential students experience a holistic and seamless living learning environment. Through the Residential Education Model they will ENGAGE, EXPLORE, DEVELOP, and STRENGTHEN their skills and experiences in the community with their peers, staff and faculty, while creating a diverse, safe, and inclusive living environment.
|Monday, Nov. 27 -
Wednesday, Dec. 12
|In order to apply you must attend an Information Session|
|Sunday, Dec. 10 at 11:59 p.m.||RA Application Available. Complete the two parts;
Part 1: Housing Application | Part 2: HR Application via the HR website
|Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.||DUE: Application closes, 2 Completed References, and Interview Preferences|
|Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018||Qualified RA Applicants will be notified to sign-up for RA Interviews|
|Friday, Feb. 2, 2018||RA Interviews – you must be available on this day|
|Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018||RA Job offers extended via FAU email|
In order to apply you must attend an Information Session
|Monday, Nov. 27||6 p.m.||Innovation Village South Multipurpose Room|
|Tuesday, Nov. 28||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room|
|Wednesday, Nov. 29||6 p.m.||Innovation Village South Multipurpose Room|
|Thursday, Nov. 30||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room|
|Friday, Dec. 1||6 p.m.||Innovation Village South Multipurpose Room|
|Sunday, Dec. 3||Noon||Parliament Hall Classroom|
|Sunday, Dec. 3||6 p.m.||Glades Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Monday, Dec. 4||Noon||Glades Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Monday, Dec. 4||6 p.m.||Innovation Village South Multipurpose Room|
|Tuesday, Dec. 5||Noon||Heritage Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Tuesday, Dec. 5||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room or
IVA South Multipurpose Room
|Wednesday, Dec. 6||Noon||Indian River Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Wednesday, Dec. 6||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room or
IVA South Multipurpose Room
|Monday, Jan. 8, 2018||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room|
|Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018||Noon||Parliament Hall Classroom|
|Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018||Noon||Indian River Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018||Noon||Glades Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018||Noon||Heritage Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
|Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018||6 p.m.||Nations Multipurpose Room|
|Friday, Jan. 12, 2018||Noon||Heritage Park Towers Multipurpose Room|
The minimum qualifications in order to apply are below. Should you not meet the following qualifications, you will NOT be eligible to apply. Please read carefully.
- Enrolled as a full-time, FAU degree-seeking student for each semester of employment.
- Undergraduate student status: registered for 12 (not to exceed 17) credit hours per semester.
- Graduate student status: registered for a 9 (not to exceed 12) credit hours per semester.
- Have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75 or a 3.0 (Graduate GPA) at the time of application.
- Two (2) full semesters of post-high school, College, or University enrollment by the first day of employment. One of these semesters must be completed at FAU.Summer semester does not count as a full semester.
- One (1) semester of on-campus living or relevant group campus living environment prior to employment for the RA position. Be sure to specify your experience on the application.
- Be in good standing with Florida Atlantic University and the Department of Housing and Residential Education (i.e. no disciplinary probation, outstanding financial obligations, etc.).
Should you be considered for the position, note the following:
- Remain in good academic standing during their term of employment. In order to do so, an RA must obtain:
- A Semester GPA of 2.50 and above, and a Cumulative GPA of 2.75 and above, for undergraduate students and a Semester GPA and Cumulative GPA of 3.0 and above, for graduate students.
- RAs failing to meet any of these academic requirements during any one semester will be terminated.
- If an undergraduate RAs semester GPA is between a 2.00 and 2.50 they will be placed on academic probation
- If an RA is currently on academic probation and fails to meet the minimum semester GPA or cumulative GPA requirement, they will be terminated.
- Completion of course LDR2010: Introduction to Leadership during the first semester of employment with a passing grade.
- Availability to attend Resident Assistant Training and other training sessions deemed necessary by the Residential Education staff.
- Attendance of all mandated staff trainings throughout the contract period, approximately two (2) weeks prior to Opening Day for the Fall semester and three to five (3-5) days prior to the start of the Spring semester.
- Availability to attend RA staff meetings, scheduled by Supervisors as they determine the time which best fits all schedules, including at various times of the week or weekend.
- RAs must have flexibility in their course schedule to accommodate these staff meetings. Tuesday nights are “Res Life Nights” and all RAs are not to have class past 5 p.m. Should you need a class to graduate that semester you muse request approval from your Supervisor and Assistant Director.
- First year RAs are not permitted to student teach, go through an intake process, work at an internship, study abroad, or be dually employed by Housing and Residential Education and/or another employer.
- A respect for, and appreciation of, the diversity of the University Housing population.
- A willingness to work daytime, evening, and weekend hours as scheduled, plus hours during holidays and between academic terms.
- Remaining on campus until all closing duties have been completed and until the Residential Education Leadership Team gives authorization to leave.
- During Winter, Spring, and holiday breaks, RAs are required to continue a duty rotation.
- A commitment to personal and professional development while in the role, including but not limited to:
- Exploring Self and Ideas
- Engaging in the Community
- Developing Culture and Competency
- Strengthening Academic Success
Housing will provide a single bedroom (may have suitemates) Student will be responsible for 50% of the lowest double rate per semester.
Based on $10.50 hr. (15 hours/week)
85 or 110 meal plan block a semester – based on location
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to go to more than one information session? Will it better my chances?
You only need to attend one (1) information session. Going to multiple sessions will not better your chances.
My friend can’t come to a session, can I take information for them?
Every student who wants to apply for the RA position, MUST attend an information session themselves.
If I live off campus can I still apply to be an RA?
Yes, however applicants do need to have at least one (1) semester of relevant group-living experiences
How strict are you with the GPA guideline?
The GPA guideline is a Divisional expectation. If you do not have above a 2.75 cumulative GPA at the time of application to the position, you will NOT be deemed eligible to apply
What if I can’t make it to my interview?
Unfortunately, that will make you ineligible for hire, all candidates must attend the entire interview in order to be considered for hire. This cannot be rescheduled due to time constraints.
Can I choose the building/student demographic I work with?
No. We will take your Residential Learning Community and housing option preferences (available on your application) into consideration; however, we determine your placement based on the information gathered during our interview process. Ultimately we are building a team to meet the needs of the building and the residents that live there.
I am going to student teach full-time or have a full-time internship in the fall/spring – can I apply?
No. First year RAs are not permitted to student teach, go through an intake process, work at an internship, study abroad, or be dually employed by Housing and Residential Education and another employer.
I am graduating in December or Studying Abroad in Spring 2018 – can I apply?
No. The RA position is a full academic year commitment.
How many positions do you have available? What are my chances of getting a job?
There are a total of 85 RA positions available on our campus. Our number of returning staff each year fluctuates, making it hard to determine an exact number of how many new staff we need until right around the time we interview. However, those who were successful in the process, who we aren’t able to offer a position to immediately, will be placed in our Alternate Pool.
What is the Alternate Pool?
The Alternate Pool means that our staff deemed eligible and desirable to hire, however we may not have had the space or right “fit” for you to join the team at this time. We pull students from the Alternate Pool throughout the entire school year, your chances of being hired before the school year is over are high.
When will I find out when I’m hired?
Letters will be e-mailed on Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018. If hired, you will also find out your building/staff placement, with the understanding that this assignment could change should the need arise within the department.
Apply To Be An RA
For more information about the RA Selection Process, e-mail RASelection@fau.edu.
If you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, in addition to completing a Student Assistant Application form for the Department of Housing and Residential Education, you are required to complete the on-line Student Application through PeopleAdmin (FAU on-line database) before you are eligible for FAU employment. You can access it through the FAU Employment site and "Create Application". Select Student Application. Please do this as soon as possible. Also if you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, go to the FAU Student Employment site and click on "Just Hired" to see what steps you must follow and forms you need to complete to be employed.
If you are interested in a long term career with Florida Atlantic University please visit FAU Employment for the current FAU career opportunities.