Summer Research Fellowship for 2020
Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
The PhD in Comparative Studies is pleased to offer the opportunity for PhD students advancing to candidacy to obtain a summer research fellowship to be used to develop their dissertation proposal or advance the writing of their dissertation. The fellowship will provide a stipend of $5,000.00.
By the date of award, the applicant must have passed their comprehensive exams. Applications will be accepted from students who have scheduled exams in the spring and the award will be contingent on successful completion of the exams before May 1, 2020.
The applicant must submit the following items by April 27, 2020:
- letter of application that describes the research to be undertaken during the summer. This proposal should be as specific as possible, including mention of any needed travel to archives, special collections, etc.
- short letter of support from dissertation committee chair that addresses the criteria given below (please follow the link below);
- draft dissertation proposal or substantial abstract if proposal is not yet developed;
- current cv;
- complete unofficial transcript
Criteria for selection
- quality and viability of project
- expectation of significant progress on dissertation research
- scholarly record to date
- record in the program to date
Notification and terms of the award
Applicants will be notified by the end of the term and awards will be contingent on successful completion of comprehensive exams, if applicable. Awardees will present results of the summer research in a brief report to the program Director which will be shared with the Executive Committee.