The Fabrication Laboratory (FabLab) is situated within the Florida Atlantic University School of Architecture at our Downtown Fort Lauderdale, Florida campus. The FabLab consists of hand tools, small model working machines, wood shop, spray booth, laser cutters, 3D printers, CNC machine, and various other tools, that are utilized to prototype, research, test, and make, as a means to advance the mission of the School and the University.
The FabLab provides orientations to initiate your educational experience with fabrication technologies. These are presented as blended online/in-person courses offered through the FAU Canvas interface. The first step is the FabLab’s Safety Orientation: Click Here to Self-Enroll
The Safety Orientation is the prerequisite for all other FabLab Orientations. Once it is completed, you will be automatically enrolled into the Laser Cutter, 3D Printer, and Wood Shop orientations. Each orientation is structured the same and during the Safety Orientation, you will be walked through all the steps to ensure the procedures are clear to you.
- Informational Modules: Read through and study this content. This serves as a resource for you, as you can reference this information whenever it is needed.
- Quiz: Complete the quiz by answering questions about the information covered in the previous modules.
- Demonstration Assignment: This module outlines what you will need to know to complete the in-person portion of the orientation.
- Demonstration Submission: After going into the FabLab to complete the demonstration assignment, you will submit an image of the project to be graded.
- Certificate of Completion: After the submission is graded, you can complete and receive your certificate.
The FabLab is currently available to FAU's upper-level architecture students and faculty. After completion of the relevant orientation(s) Faculty and students can use the FabLab Bookings page to reserve time to work. The FabLab is dedicated to helping students and provides an internal help desk to give students a place to ask questions and look up resources curated just for them. Check out your FabLab Help Desk!
If you’re not currently enrolled as an upper-level architecure student, but you are interested in using the FabLab, perhaps we can accommodate you!Go to our form to let us know and we will follow up with you.
Questions? Contact the FabLab Coordinator