The Office of Technology Development (OTD) manages intellectual property (IP) created by faculty and students at FAU. It provides impartial consultation on various legal protection and commercialization strategies, and collaborates with outside attorneys and consultants to offer additional resources. The office also works closely with the Office of Sponsored Programs to structure the IP and commercial provisions of sponsored research agreements.
- Evaluation of new IP created by faculty and students
- Legal protection of IP (e.g. patents, copyrights)
- Marketing IP to companies
- Negotiating license agreements
- Arranging funding of commercially significant research projects
- Assistance with faculty or student start-up companies based on FAU IP
- University outreach and education on IP and related topics