Assessment Mission & Values
The mission of Assessment is to provide university-wide support for:
- Assessment of student learning outcomes
- Planning and reporting on assessment activities (formative as well as summative).
- Continuous improvement activities at the course, program and institutional levels
Moreover, Assessment strives to collaborate with faculty, administrators and other staff to develop and sustain, across the university, a community-supported and endorsed culture of assessment.
- Supporting Faculty in their quest to help students to learn
- Continuous improvement of student learning
- Collaboration with faculty and staff
- Shared responsibility and shared resources
- Use of technology to achieve efficiency
- Open communication and listening
- Evidence-based / Data-driven decisions and changes
- Rigorous, high-quality, and useful assessment data such as authentic performance-based assessment and embedded curriculum-based assessments of student abilities, skills (e.g., written and oral communications, quantitative literacy, critical thinking), and knowledge (especially analysis and synthesis as opposed to simple memorization).
- Use assessment data for program improvement
For more information about FAU's Assessment Philosophy and Procedures, please see our "Student Learning Outcome Assessment Plan: Continuous Quality Improvement."