The Department of Campus Recreation provides outdoor adventure trips for students, and Rec Members. All trips are beginner friendly, although the level of difficulty can vary due to weather.
Registration for each individual trip opens one month before the start of the trip. Specific dates are provided in the trip descriptions. You can register for trips in Base Camp, the Outdoor Adventures office, in the Recreation & Fitness Center. Base camp hours can be found here. For more information on any of the trips, stop by Base Camp during their normal hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (561)297-4425.
NEW Policy: Registrations will not be considered complete until payment and registration packet is turned in. You may download the registration packet here: (Participation Registration Form)
Trip Difficulty Ratings
Whether you want to learn a new activity, better your skills, or just explore a new area, our trips are designed to be appropriate for a wide variety of skill levels. However, the difficulty of the trips varies. The following rating system is designed to help you better understand the level of physical exertion for each trip. The weather and your level of fitness can all affect the difficulty of trips, but this is the rating system that we use:
Easy- Not much physical exertion is needed. The activities for these trips are relaxing and not very strenuous. These trips are the least likely to have increased difficulty as a result of fluctuating environmental conditions.
Moderate- You’ll know that you’re getting exercise on these trips, but the activities are not as strenuous or as long as those in challenging trips.
Challenging- These trips are still beginner friendly, but be prepared for a work out! The trips involve activities where you will be exerting yourself for several hours a day in conditions that can greatly affect the difficulty. But remember, the greater the challenge, the greater the reward!
**Please note that dates are subject to change and will be finalized after the first week of class. Trip activities and/or locations can also change due to a variety of factors, but we will do our best to ensure the trip is as similar as possible to what is described.
Trips include transportation from FAU's Boca campus (northbound trips can stop at the Jupiter campus if needed to pick up and drop off students residing in Jupiter), meals while camping and during the activities, and group gear (tents, stoves, kayaks, canoes, snorkel equipment, paddleboards, etc.). Trips do not include food while driving to/from trip locations or personal items such as sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and backpacks with hip belts (needed for backpacking trips). These items are available for rent at Base Camp.
Summer Trip to Hawaii
This summer, Outdoor Adventures is getting tropical! Come with us as we head to the Big Island of Hawaii for nine days of fun in the sun. While in Hawaii, we’ll take advantage of all the beautiful island has to offer. We’ll snorkel in the crystal clear water (good chance of seeing turtles and lots of tropical fish), go standup paddleboarding and kayaking, visit coffee and macadamia nut farms, explore Volcanoes National Park (with an active volcano!), and visit black sand and green sand beaches. We’ll be camping the entire trip, with access to bathrooms and showers for most of the time. The trip also includes a backpacking portion for a couple nights (primitive camping), as well as two days of volunteer work.
Includes: transportation within Hawaii, most meals, park entrance & camping fees, activity specific rentals (paddleboards, kayaks, snorkel equipment), group camping gear, backpack, sleeping bag & sleeping pad
Doesn’t Include: airfare to Hawaii (about $1,100), a few meals, optional/additional activities (such as luau, horseback riding, etc.)
|Registration Opens: April 27 for students, April 29 for Rec Members|
|Difficulty Rating: Easy/Moderate - depends on swimming ability||Student Price: $500||Member Price: $750|
Hawaii Trip Cancellation Policy: The full amount of the trip will be charged on June 1st. Cancellations made after May 8th will be charged 50% of the trip cost. Cancellations prior to May 8th will not incur any penalty
Trip Cancellation Policy | Fall and Spring
- A full refund will be issued if the cancellation is made within 7 days of the trip’s registration start date
- Cancellations made 7+ days after the trip registration opens will not receive a refund for any reason
- If a trip is cancelled by Outdoor Adventures due to weather or any other reason, a full refund will be issued
- Payments must be made using debit or credit cards. No other forms of payment will be accepted. All purchases will be processed at the time of registration.
- Participants must attend the Pre-Trip Meeting for their specific trip.
- If the trip involves water-based activities, life jackets must be worn. If you have passed the Outdoor Adventures Swim Test, then the life jacket can be removed at the trip leaders’ discretion.
- Participants must travel in Outdoor Adventures’ vehicles. Driving separately, meeting the group or being picked up is not allowed
- Outdoor Adventures trips are university related functions and should be treated as such. Alcohol, tobacco, and drug use are prohibited for the duration of the trip. Participants who violate these rules are subject to removal from the trip and transportation back to FAU will be at the participant’s expense.