Change of Preferred First Name

Students who wish to use a preferred first name can submit a request to the Office of the Registrar. This allows students to use a first name other than their legal one to identify themselves.

The University reserves the right to deny the use of a preferred first name that is deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or if it is being used for misrepresentation or fraud.

Note: The preferred first name is not a legal name change. Students who are legally changing their name would submit the Request for Change of Name. The University uses the legal name on official documents, such as academic transcripts, diplomas, tax documents, and contracts.


Campus Systems Use of Preferred First Name

The preferred first name will be viewable in the following university systems:

  • Banner
  • Canvas
  • Starfish
  • StarRez
  • Tutortrac
  • Maxient