FAU Kicks Off Fall 2021 Virtual ‘Research in Action’ Series
Scientists, engineers, historians, social workers, medical experts and many others across Florida Atlantic University study some of the most challenging problems facing society. From climate change to social justice and sea level rise to substance use disorder, they are conducting in-depth studies and exploring possible solutions.
FAU’s Division of Research is kicking off its fall 2021 “Research in Action” virtual weekly talk series on Zoom, sharing these innovations and solutions with the public. Each week, participants can listen to experts in their fields as they present their latest research and participate in question-and-answer sessions.
- Sept. 2 – “Reconstructing Miami’s Salty Skyline” with Jeffrey Huber, Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters (https://bit.ly/3BL8B0A)
- Sept. 9 – “Top Tips to Combat Harmful Air Pollutants” with Masoud Jahandar Lashaki, Ph.D., College of Engineering and Computer Science (https://bit.ly/3jibtd7)
- Sept. 16 – “Special Spanish Edition: Descubra la Verdad Sobre el Regreso de los ‘Indianos’ a España” with Nuria Godón, Ph.D., Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters (https://bit.ly/2WkfUfs )
- Sept. 23 – “Harmful Algal Blooms: Can the Damage be Undone?” with Jim Sullivan, Ph.D., FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute (https://bit.ly/3mPjNV9)
- Sept. 30 – “Tips to Nip Cannabinoid-related Deaths in the Bud” with Armiel Suriaga, Ph.D., Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing (https://bit.ly/3lSz6vF)
- Oct. 7 – “Dig Into Creepy Creatures in Southern Folklore” with Taylor Hagood, Ph.D., Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters (https://bit.ly/3AZs9gE)
- Oct. 14 – “Help Her Find a Way Home: Escaping Homelessness” with Danielle Groton, Ph.D., College of Social Work and Criminal Justice (https://bit.ly/3CAFiyh)
- Oct. 28 – “Protecting Babies from Toxicants” with Krista McCoy, Ph.D., FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute (https://bit.ly/3jiLSSg)
- Nov. 4 – “Catch the Wave of the Future: Ocean Energy” with Gabriel Alsenas, director, Southeastern National Marine Renewable Energy Center at FAU Division of Research (https://bit.ly/2WwbL89)
- Nov. 18 – “Will Worms Wriggle Us Closer to Solving Brain Disorders?” with Osama Refai, Ph.D., Schmidt College of Medicine (https://bit.ly/3muMoPc)
- Dec. 2 – “Can Communities Help Stop Re-Offending?” with Cassandra Atkin-Plunk, Ph.D., College of Social Work and Criminal Justice (https://bit.ly/3iAgLkZ)
- Dec. 9 – “How Do We Clean-up Government Corruption?” with Peter Cruise, Ph.D., Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters (https://bit.ly/37P1Mxv )