Inclusive housing affords students the option to live on campus in a single room suite or apartment with whomever they choose, regardless of biological sex, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity. FAU will make every effort to accommodate both the student’s request to be assigned housing based on gender inclusive need, as well as other requests (i.e., low-cost housing, specific hall choice, etc.). While all students are encouraged to provide housing preferences, FAU cannot guarantee to any student a specific hall, room or roommate. All assignments are based upon space availability.
Deadline to request inclusive housing:
Students seeking inclusive housing will need to inform Housing by:
- June 1 for fall
- December 1 for spring
- May 1 for summer
Selecting Inclusive Housing
- New residents indicate on the housing contract that you would prefer to be assigned to a space in inclusive housing. Students will be assigned rooms with other students who elected inclusive housing.
- Returning residents who participate in the housing renewal process should select on the housing application that they are interested in inclusive housing. Returning residents may match with roommates to be paired with in the suite. If students are not able to completely fill an apartment or suite they will be assigned rooms with other students who elected inclusive housing. This is an opt-in process, but does not require a specific request.
Policies related for Inclusive Housing:
- Any student may request inclusive housing by selecting “yes” to the question in the housing application.
- Students will not be automatically placed in an inclusive suite/apartment unless they have indicated on their application they would prefer living in Inclusive Housing.
- Students must be able to fill all spaces in the suite/apartment with other students who have requested inclusive housing.
- Inclusive housing is the students’ decision and will never be forced upon an individual. If a vacancy occurs, the students in the suite/apartment will have 48 hours to fill the vacancy.
- Housing staff will assist with this process if there are students available who have indicated they would be comfortable with this type of housing. If the vacancy is not filled the room will revert back to a single gender space and anyone of the minority gender will be asked to relocate. Vacancies in suites and apartments will be handled on a case-by-case basis, to ensure that all parties are comfortable with the make-up of the space.
- University Housing encourages students to discuss this program with their parents/guardians before selecting inclusive housing. The housing contract is a binding contract. Should your parent(s)/guardian (s) disagree with your room selection, you will be bound to the contract and re-assigned to single gender suite or apartment.
- This program is not designed for use by romantic couples. Students in intimate relationships should not choose to live together in inclusive housing.