The Department of Campus Recreation provides many facilities for on-campus recreation. A valid FAU student ID card or Campus Recreation membership is required for access to these facilities.
Campus Recreation facilities, services and programs are available to all FAU students during the semester for which they are registered. Facility access is granted beginning the first day of classes and continuing until the day before classes begin the following semester. Students qualify for this access by paying the required activity and service fees as part of their tuition.
Campus Recreation manages a variety of facilities available for student groups and others to reserve for special events. Please review the procedures below to begin the reservation process.
FACILITIES & POLICIES
Policies and procedures for access and facility spaces are outlined below. Programs and services may have additional policies that are outlined on the corresponding website.
Recreation & Fitness Center
- All members must present a valid FAU Owl Card, Campus Recreation Membership pass or appropriate finger scan (if applicable) to gain access to the facility.
- Entry to and exit from the facility must be through controlled access points only. Other exits should be used for emergencies only. Members attempting to help non-members illegally enter the facilities will have their membership suspended and risk forfeiture of membership.
- The areas within and around the Department of Campus Recreation are tobacco and smoke-free environments. FAU is a tobacco free campus.
- Please be courteous to others and place trash in appropriate containers throughout facilities. Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, etc. used as transportation to and from facilities must be placed in designated racks located near entrances. Failure to comply may result in confiscation and/or removal of membership privileges.
- Please secure personal items in lockers and do not leave items unattended in the facility. Campus Recreation staff cannot guarantee the security of valuables, book bags or other personal articles left unattended. Report any incidents of theft or loss to the staff at the front desk. All recorded lost and found items are saved and stored in the lost & found located at the Rec Desk. All lost and found items are held for one week and are then sent to the University Police Department.
- Campus Recreation facilities or programs may not be used for private classes, personal training or any other activity associated with personal gain.
- Campus Recreation facilities, or a portion of, may be closed to members and guests upon occasion for maintenance and select University-related events.
- At various times throughout the semester, the Department of Campus Recreation will be taking digital images, photographs, and/or videotapes of patrons for educational, promotional and informational purposes for use in department related print material and on our website. When/if your likeness or image is used in publication, there will be no identifying information provided.
- Report all equipment, maintenance, safety problems or issues to Campus Recreation staff immediately. Do not use any equipment if in doubt of your safety.
- Language and behavior should be appropriate for a university setting.
- Alcoholic beverages and any other illegal substances are prohibited in facilities under the direct supervision of the Department of Campus Recreation.
- The use of radios/portable stereos or amplified sound is not permitted in any Campus Recreation facility.
- Membership privileges may be revoked or suspended for policy violation at any time.
- Rules for specific areas are posted on location and other sections of this website. These rules may include more area specific rules that are not listed in the general rules.
- All patrons must comply with staff directives.
Fitness Center Floor
- Users must be 18 years of age and in good physical condition. Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaires (Par-Qs) are available at the Membership Desk. Consult a physician before beginning any exercise program.
- Proper workout attire is mandatory for participation in facility. Patrons wearing jeans, dress pants, button-down shirts, skirts, dress shoes or open-toe shoes may be asked to leave.
- Dropping weights is prohibited.
- Olympic lifting is prohibited.
- Please limit the length of your workout when others are waiting. Cardiovascular machines will be limited to 30-minute sessions during high usage hours.
- Please clean and wipe off equipment/upholstery after each use.
- Always notify staff if you notice any broken, damaged or unsafe equipment.
- All Personal Trainers must be hired through the Campus Recreation Department.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed. Do not attempt to modify equipment. If you are unsure of how to use a piece of equipment for its intended purpose please ask a Fitness Center Staff Member for assistance.
- Personal belongings must be kept in a locker. The staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Spotters are recommended and weight collars must be used on all lifts.
- Food and drink are not allowed with the exception of water in a closed container.
- FAU Rec staff reserves the right to implement any rules or guidelines that protect the health, safety and well being of the facility and its users.
- All patrons must comply with staff directives.
Indoor Basketball Courts
- Appropriate attire is mandatory at all times. Shirts, proper athletic clothing and athletic shoes with non-marking soles are required on the courts. Bare feet, stocking feet, sandals, open-toed shoes, hard-soled shoes, or anything which compromises safety is prohibited, unless specifically instructed by class leader.
- Equipment is available for checkout on a daily basis at the Rec Desk.
- Hanging on the basketball rims is not permitted.
- Keep courts clear of bags and clothing.
- Damage to property and verbal or physical abuse is not tolerated; violators will be escorted out of the facility and subject to disciplinary action.
- Disassembling or moving equipment that has been set-up is not allowed. Ask a Facility Supervisor to set up or take down equipment.
- The gymnasium is primarily intended for basketball, volleyball and badminton. Other activities are permissible if considered safe and appropriate as determined by the Campus Recreation staff.
- Sparing or practice with weapons is prohibited.
- Skateboards, long boards and other wheeled objects are not allowed on the courts.
- Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis however full court participation has priority over small group or individual activities.
- No food or beverages are allowed on the courts except water in closed plastic containers.
Lap & Leisure Pool
Lap & Leisure Pool - The Lap and Leisure Pool is a 17,000 sq. ft. aquatic facility that includes a zero-depth beach entry leisure pool, bench seating and three (3) 25-yard lanes for lap swimming. This climate-controlled pool provides an opportunity for comfortable year-round swimming. The facility also provides chaise lounge chairs and comfortable patio furniture so patrons can relax and enjoy the year-round sunshine of south Florida.
- An aquatic lift is available for swimmers who may need additional assistance entering and leaving the pool.
- Patrons must access the pool through the main entrance to the Recreation and Fitness Center and present a valid student ID or Campus Recreation Membership card to access the facility.
- The pool will be closed based on calculations that consider: air temperature, wind chill temperature, wind speed and water temperature.
- Lockers may be purchased at the Membership Office.
- A small number of day-use lockers are available in each locker room free of charge. Students and Members who use the day-use lockers must provide their own lock and remove belongings at the conclusion of each day.
- Trash must be placed in appropriate containers.
- Please take care to secure your personal belongings. Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items. It is recommended that patrons and guests do not leave valuables, such as money, wallets, watches, jewelry, etc., unattended in their lockers. All theft, vandalism or unusual situations should be reported to Campus Recreation staff or called in to the FAU police department at (561)297-3500.
- The use of cell phones is prohibited in the locker rooms.
- At close, patrons will have 15 minutes to finish using the locker rooms. Shower towels are available for checkout at the Rec Desk.
Track and Field Complex
Athletics Tennis Courts - There are 8 Total courts for rental, which are only rentable when athletic competitions are not occurring on the requested date.
Monday-Friday 5 p.m. - Dark
Saturday 10 a.m. - Dark
Sunday 12 p.m. - Dark
Sand Volleyball Courts - There are three (3) total courts, which are only rentable when athletic competitions are not occurring on the requested date.
Monday - Friday 5 p.m. - Close
- In order to use the Track & Field Complex, you must be a current FAU Student, Faculty or Staff member or obtain a Facility Use Permit from the Department of Campus Recreation.
- FAU Owl cards may be verified at anytime by Campus Recreation staff, Athletics Department staff, FAU PD and/or other University officials. Unauthorized use of the facility is prohibited and considered trespassing.
- Bikes, pets, skateboards, rollerblades, golfing, glass products, sharp objects, smoking, smokeless tobacco, gum chewing, sunflower seeds are not permitted in the complex. Bikes must be placed is designated racks.
- Vehicle traffic other than Gators/golf carts designed for maintenance are prohibited.
- Any person engaging in disorderly or unsportsmanlike conduct shall be removed by Campus Recreation staff, Athletic staff, FAU PD and/or other University officials.
- Facility is to be used for its design. Activities deemed dangerous, improper or violate the designated/intended use are prohibited.
- Appropriate attire is mandatory at all times. Pants/shorts and closed-toe shoes are required during activity.
- Goals, steeple chase hurdles and other equipment may not be moved without permission of staff.
- Please be courteous and place trash in appropriate containers.
- Track will be reserved for athletic practices and competition daily. Facility will be closed for FAU community use during these designated times.
- Walkers & joggers must use lanes 5 - 8 only. Lanes 1 - 4 reserved for competitive use.
- Spikes/cleats are prohibited on the track surface at all times. Running shoes are required on the track surface. Spitting on the track is prohibited.
- Moving track equipment is prohibited.
- Metal cleats or any spikes/cleats longer than ¾ inch are prohibited on the turf field.
- Throwing areas and field event pits/equipment are off limits at all times.
- Any misuse or vandalism of the Track & Field Complex or equipment should be reported immediately to Campus Recreation personnel or called in to FAU PD at (561) 297-3500.
- Users are responsible for their own safety while using the Track & Field Complex and assume all risks associated with outdoor recreation activities.
Henderson Fields - The 6.5-acre home of Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs, Henderson fields may be reserved by student and community organizations for special events.
- The Henderson Rec Fields will be reserved for A.D. Henderson School until 5:30pm Monday - Friday. The Facility will be closed during these designated times.
- In order to use the Henderson Rec Fields you must obtain a Facility Use Permit from the Department of Campus Recreation. Unauthorized use of the facility is prohibited and considered trespassing.
- FAU Owl cards may be verified at anytime by Campus Recreation staff, A.D. Henderson School staff, FAU PD and/or other University officials.
- Pets, golfing, glass products, smoking, and smokeless tobacco are not permitted in the complex. Bikes must be placed in designated racks.
- Vehicle traffic other than Gators/golf carts designed for maintenance is prohibited.
- Any person engaging in disorderly or unsportsmanlike conduct shall be removed by Campus Recreation staff, FAU PD and/or other University officials.
- Facility is to be used for its design. Activities deemed dangerous, improper or violate the designated/intended use are prohibited. Appropriate attire is mandatory at all times.
- Goals and other equipment may not be moved without permission of Campus Recreation staff.
- Please be courteous and place trash in appropriate containers.
- Any misuse or vandalism of the Henderson Rec Fields or equipment should be reported immediately to Campus Recreation staff, A.D. Henderson School staff, or called in to FAU PD at (561) 297-3500.
- Users are responsible for their own safety while using the Henderson Rec Field and assume all risks associated with outdoor recreation activities.
Outdoor Basketball Courts - Four (4) basketball courts available for open recreation until 11 p.m. nightly. The facility is located behind the baseball stadium.
Recreation Tennis Courts - Six (6) recreational tennis courts, located behind the FAU baseball stadium, are available for open rec until 10 p.m. nightly. Open recreation is available to FAU students and Campus Rec Members at the Athletics Tennis Complex:
Monday-Friday 4:30 p.m. - Close
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - Close
Sunday 12:00 p.m. - Close
Climbing Center - The Climbing Center consists of a 35-foot climbing tower and 20-foot long bouldering wall. Students have access to the Climbing Center during Open Climb hours and Climbing Club practices.
Challenge Course - Florida Atlantic University is home to the most comprehensive Challenge Course in South Florida. With more than 30 low and high elements and numerous portables, the course can be customized to provide an experiential-based program for local organizations. Both FAU and the surrounding communities may book programming at the course.
- FAU ID cards are required to participate in open climbing programs. ID may be verified at any time by Campus Recreation staff and other university officials.
- All climbers must check in with the climbing wall staff before climbing.
- Closed-toe shoes are required while climbing, bouldering, and belaying.
- You must be "checked-off" by Climbing Wall staff in order to belay. Belay certification must be renewed at the beginning of each fall semester.
- Belay certified participants should attach their tag visibly on their harness.
- Pets, golfing, glass products, smoking, and smokeless tobacco products are not permitted at the FAU Challenge Course. Any persons under the influence of drugs or alcohol are prohibited from the FAU Challenge Course.
- Facility is to be used for its design. Activities deemed dangerous, improper or violate the designed/intended use are prohibited.
- Facility equipment may not be moved without permission of Campus Recreation staff.
- Please be courteous and place all trash in its appropriate containers.
- No topping out when bouldering, or climbing on roof of bouldering hut (observe height restrictions).
- Water bottles and other personal items must remain outside climbing zone.
- Point out that roped climbers have right of way at all times.
- Requests for photography or video of Campus Recreation participants or facilities must be made at least 1 business day in advance by submitting a completed MEDIA REQUEST FORM to firstname.lastname@example.org or by turning into the Membership Office at the Recreation and Fitness Center. Each individual in the picture or video must have a signed waiver. A Campus Recreation staff member will be in contact with you to either approve or deny your request.
- Photographic devices may not be used in the locker rooms and restrooms.
- Personal privacy of participants must be respected, and participants can decline to be included in shots. A Campus Recreation staff member must supervise any recording or photography in the Recreation and Fitness Center.
- All other media issues/requests fall under the Office of Media Relations policies.
University Media Policies
- Reporting and Filming on Campus News Crews FAU welcomes the media to its campuses, centers and other locations.
- Members of the press are encouraged to contact the Office of University Communications before arriving at FAU. Prior clearance is needed to conduct interviews, to film or photograph inside campus buildings, residence halls/facilities, classrooms, or other restricted areas.
- Access to all locations may not be available at all times.
Commercial and student crews interested in filming on any of FAU's campuses should contact the Office of University Communications for permission and guidelines. Requests should be submitted in writing several weeks prior to the requested date, since proper paperwork, documentation, and review by other departments may be required. The Office of University Communications may be reached at 561-297-3020. News crews should be directed to Lisa Metcalf. Commercial crews should be directed to Diego Meeroff. Please note that University policies and regulations remain in effect at all times.
Equipment check is available at the Rec Desk inside the Recreation and Fitness Center. Items intended for use within the facility have a 24 hour checkout window. Items should be returned before facility closes on day of rental. To checkout equipment, an Equipment Checkout Agreement must be completed. Agreements must be renewed annually.
- Indoor Men/Women Basketballs
- Weight Belts
- Foam Rollers
- Abdominal rollers
- Resistance Bands
- TRX Bands
- Jump Ropes & Weighted Jump Ropes
- Badminton Racquets
Fees for Lost Damaged Equipment
While our rates assume some wear and tear will occur during use, renters are responsible for the cost of repairing any damaged equipment or replacing lost items. The lost/damaged fee will not exceed the purchase price of the item.
The Department of Campus Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities in all programs and services. To facilitate opportunities for people with and without disabilities to engage in recreational pursuits together, the Department of Campus Recreation provides inclusion support services, including -- but not limited to -- staff support and adaptive equipment.
Additional requests for other accommodations should be made through the Membership Services office, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-7 p.m, or via email at email@example.com