FAU Pine Jog Hosts Environmental Education Center’s Benefit
By lisa-metcalf | 6/13/2017
Florida Atlantic University’s Pine Jog Environmental Education Center recently hosted its annual benefit event, “Pine Jog @ Night: See What Comes Out at Night.” A self-supporting unit of FAU’s College of Education, the Center serves more than 40,000 individuals annually with 60 percent from culturally diverse and underserved populations. Proceeds from this event help to underwrite the Center’s youth programs.
The event took place at the Center and included dinner by the bite, live music and dancing, as well as silent and live auctions. Special guests representing Florida Atlantic University included Daniel Flynn, Ph.D., FAU vice president of research; Anton Post, Ph.D., executive director of FAU’s Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute; and Valerie J. Bristor, Ph.D., dean of FAU’s College of Education. Additional special guests included Erica Whitfield, member of the School Board of Palm Beach County and Jeff Pegg, central instructional superintendent for the Palm Beach County School District.
The Center wishes to thank its sponsors, auction donors, guests, volunteers and everyone that helped to make the event a success. Sponsors for the event included the Harry T. Mangurian, Jr. Foundation, platinum star sponsor; and Florida Power & Light; Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County; Lewis, Longman & Walker, PA; Moss and Associates, LLC; Wantman Group, Inc.; and Mr. Jeff Koons, star sponsors.
FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Center announced its 2017 Environmental Leadership Awards at the event. Recipients included:
- Environmental Educator of the Year – Megan Harris, River Center
- Environmental Education Program of the Year – Adventure Awaits Program Series, Palm Beach County Department of Environmental Resources Management
- Environmental Organization of the Year – The Garden Club of Palm Beach
- Environmental Business of the Year – Green Dwellings, LLC
- Environmental Visionary of the Year – Jeri Muoio, mayor of the City of West Palm Beach
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Chuck Shaw, chairman of the School Board of Palm Beach County and member of the Board of Trustees, FAU Pine Jog Environmental Education Center.
“We are so excited and humbled by the overwhelming turnout and support demonstrated at this year’s event,” said Ray Coleman, the Center’s executive director. “Not only was this event a tremendous amount of fun, but the nearly $40,000 raised will assist Pine Jog Environmental Education Center to continue our critical work teaching children and adults to conserve, protect and enjoy our natural world.”
For more information about FAU Pine Jog or to make a contribution, visit www.pinejog.fau.edu.