Osher LLI at FAU Announces Summer Course Schedule
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Florida Atlantic University in Jupiter has announced its course offerings for the summer semester, which begins Tuesday, May 15.
Taught by FAU professors and distinguished guest lecturers, course offerings include such varied subjects as foreign policy, political science, film, music, art history and literature. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute was established to provide adults of all ages the opportunity to enrich their lives through non-credit, university-level courses with no homework or tests.
Summer one-time lectures and courses take place in the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute complex at FAU’s John D. MacArthur Campus, 5353 Parkside Dr., in Jupiter, and include:
- “A Potpourri of Summer Delights: Part II,” a six-week course presented by Terryl Lawrence, Ph.D., will begin on Tuesday, May 15. This course will examine famous artists of Paris, France and include Chaim Soutine, Picasso, Dora Maar and Maurice Utrillo.
- “Equs,” presented by Palm Beach Dramaworks on Tuesday, May 22, will provide a one-time in-depth discussion about the play. Participants will receive a comprehensive study guide and copy of the script prior to class.
- “Tuscany and Provence: The Reinvention of Cinema,” a six-week course presented by Benito Rakower, Ph.D., will begin Thursday, May 17. This course will discuss six films that take place in the regions of Tuscany and Provence.
- “Yerma,” presented by National Theatre Live on Friday, June 29, is a one-time performance set in contemporary London. The play portrays a woman in her 30s struggling to conceive a child. This is a pre-recorded presentation.
- “Bending Fate: International Films with Tales of How Ordinary People Try to Control Their Destiny,” a six-week course presented by Katie Muldoon, will begin on Wednesday, July 11. This course will examine six international films that show the audience “ordinary” people sharing extraordinary moments in their lives. The films include “Mandariind” (Estonia), “Heart Shulayim” (Israel) and “Nobody Knows” (Hong Kong).
For more information about the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, or to receive a course catalog, call 561-799-8547.