Education and Talent Search Program
The Talent Search program identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education. The program provides academic, career, and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to and complete their postsecondary education. The program publicizes the availability of financial aid and assist participant with the postsecondary application process.
Talent Search also encourages persons who have not completed education programs at the secondary or postsecondary level to enter or reenter and complete postsecondary educat1on. The goal of Talent Search is to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete, high school and enroll in and complete their postsecondary education.
Types of Projects
Projects provide tutorial services, career exploration, aptitude assessments, counseling, mentoring programs, workshops, information on postsecondary institutions; education or counseling services designed to improve financial and economic literacy of students; guidance on and assistance in secondary school reentry ,I altemative education programs for secondary school dropouts, entry into general educational development programs or postsecondary education; and programs and activities previously mentioned that are specially designed for students who are limited English proficient, students from groups that are traditionally derrepresented in postsecondary education, students with disabilities, students who are homeless children and youths, students who are in fostercare or are aging out of the foster care system or other disconnected students.
- Academic, financial, career, or personal counseling including advice on entry or re-entry to secondary or postsecondary programs
- Career exploration and aptitude assessment
- Tutorial services
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Mentoring programs
- Special activities for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders
- Workshops for the families of participants