Mission, Vision, and Goals
The Urban Male Initiative started its initial program development efforts in the fall of 2012. Vice President, Dr. Corey A. King saw a need for programming, which focused on the development and retention of minority men. As a result of several planning meetings with faculty, staff, and students to determine the direction and needs for this program on our campus; in the fall of 2014 UMI launched its first retreat. Over the past several years the program under the leadership of the Vice President for the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management has continued to grow into a comprehensive academic and retention program.
Our mission in Urban Male Initiative at FAU is to enhance the well-being of the urban male student through a four section curriculum that pays close attention to students Academic Success, Career Development, Community Engagement, and Personal Enrichment.
The Urban Male Initiative will create a community of urban male students who are academically driven, self and socially aware, and motivated to make a difference within themselves, as well as their campus and global communities.
- Foster a sense of community on the FAU campus
- Establish positive mentoring and peer advising relationships
- Assist students in identifying resources on and off campus for both academic and social success
- Help students develop a plan for academic and career achievement
- Assist students in focusing on and sharpening academic skills
“Empowering, Redefining, and Becoming Men of Content and Character”