ENROLLMENT AND WAIVER PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
All International students and scholars with F and J non-immigrant status in the United States are required to have health insurance that meets the university’s requirements. Beginning with the new policy year, all international students will be enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP), and the insurance premium will be charged to the student’s FAU account.
International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form by the deadline. Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline will have the premium for SHIP added to their student account.
- Coverage Period: Policies must provide, at a minimum, continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student, including annual breaks during that period. Payment of benefits must be renewable;
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness;
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30-day cap per benefit period;
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year;
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in-network or 60% out-of-network;
- Repatriation: $25,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country);
- Medical Evacuation: $50,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort, if directed by the physician in charge);
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at the Student Health Center; maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility;
- Minimum coverage: $200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per accident or illness per policy year;
- Insurance Carrier must, at a minimum, meet the rating requirements specified in Part 62.14(d) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
- Policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the student’s program of study;
- Claims must be paid in U.S. dollars payable on a U.S. financial institution;
- Policy provisions must be available from the insurer in English.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Must include coverage of $1,000 or more per policy year.
- Exclusion for Pre-existing Conditions: First six months of policy period, at most.
- Preventive care: Preventive care must be included.
To submit a waiver, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU. Waiver portal will open October 1, 2021, for Fall 2 2021.
Deadline to submit waivers for Fall 2 2021: October 11, 2021.
Your waiver form and supporting documentation will be reviewed to ensure you have coverage which meets the requirements above.