Frequently Asked Questions

1.  Where can I obtain my shot records?

You can try your parents to see if they have any official documentation for you. You can also try any public schools that you may have attended. Previous colleges and/or universities are good sources, too, especially if you are a transfer student. Previous physicians may also have the records.


2.  What is an MMR?

An MMR is an immunization vaccine (shot) against Measles, Mumps and Rubella.


3.  Should I send my immunization records together with the rest of my application packet?

To avoid delays, please fax, email or mail your immunization records directly to the Immunization Office.


4.  I am faxing my immunization records. Do I still need to mail the original?

No, a legible faxed copy of your shot records and Immunization Form is enough.


5.  I have been a previous student at FAU. Do you still have my immunization records on file?

Public universities in Florida are required to keep records for seven years from the time they were submitted. If it has been more than seven years, you may check with us to see if we still have your records and if they meet the current requirements.


6.  I have attended another state university; do I still have to show proof of immunization when the requirements are the same?

Yes. Each university stores the immunization data differently and these systems are not linked together. Also, the requirement states that each university must have a copy of every student's immunization record on file.


7.  I heard that I can waive some shots. Is that true?

Students have the option of either waiving or providing shot records for Hepatitis B and Meningococcal Meningitis.

However, every student born after 1956 needs to provide shot records for Measles and Rubella.


8.  What if I have a medical reason for not getting the vaccinations?

A medical exemption can be submitted by your physician; it must include the medical reason for the exemption.


9.  I may be pregnant or I am currently pregnant and nursing. What can I do if I don't have my immunization records?

You may submit a dated letter from your physician stating your situation. Another option would be to have your blood tested for immunity to Measles and Rubella (results must be positive). Pregnant women are routinely tested for Rubella, so you could get a copy of that from your OB/GYN. Keep in mind that, either way, you still need to fill out an FAU Immunization Form.


10.  What if I just don't believe in getting shots? What do I do then?

You have the option of having a blood test done to show the presence of the Measles and Rubella antibodies. If the test results are positive and show immunity to Measles and Rubella, then this would be acceptable. However, if these tests came back negative, then you would have to show proof of immunization.


11.  If I have documents from the health department, do I still need to complete the FAU Immunization Form?

Yes. The requirement states that we must have a signed Immunization Form on file for every student who attends classes at FAU.


12.  I had my first shot before my first birthday; why would this be unacceptable?

Immunizations given prior to your first birthday may be ineffective because your immune system was not fully developed. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that Measles and Rubella immunizations be given after you are one year of age.


13.  What if my doctor doesn't have an office stamp?

You may attach your doctor's business card or have him/her write your immunization dates on his/her letterhead.


14.  I am not yet a student at FAU. Can I use your clinic to get the shots or have a titer?

Yes. Once you have been admitted to FAU, you are eligible to use Student Health Services to receive MMRs, Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccines, as well as titers for Measles, Rubella and Hepatitis B.  If you have applied, but not yet been admitted, we will ask you to wait until your admission has been confirmed.

 Last Modified 6/28/19