Quick Links

How to Get Started


Faculty Information  

Frequently Asked Questions

Upcoming Deadlines:

UG Research Grants

October 15 and March 15

SURF Applications Due

January 15

OURI Symposium Submission Due

Second Monday in March

Peer Mentor Program Applications Due

Last Friday of May

FAURJ Submissions Due

Last Friday of May




Undergraduate Research Certificate Fact Sheet for Advisors:

What is the Undergraduate Research Certificate?

The Undergraduate Research Certificate is a 12-credit certificate program available to undergraduate students to support their development and recognize excellence in undergraduate research.

What are the requirements for receiving the Undergraduate Research Certificate?

The requirements include 12 credit hours of specific coursework and a dissemination presentation.

Details on how these requirements can be met are seen in the following figure

Research Certificate Requirements for website

Course type descriptions:

  • Exposure and Skill building courses :
    • A list of approved Research Exposure courses can be found HERE .
    • A list of Approved Skill Building courses can be found HERE
  • Research Intensive Courses : Research intensive or RI is a formal university-wide designation for courses in which undergraduates actively engage in intensive-level research. All RI designated courses can be identified with the “RI” in the title of the course. Updated lists of RI Designated courses can be found HERE .
  • Directed Independent Research : credit bearing options (zero to four credits) for tracking faculty-mentored research. DIR courses fall within the “900 numbering system”).
  • Dissemination Presentation : For internal symposia presenters, students will register for a zero credit IDS 4914 “Undergraduate Research Forum” course. There will be separate course sections for students who present at the Boca, Broward, Jupiter symposia, and other research symposia/conferences/exhibitions external to FAU.

Other Stipulations:

  • Courses with S/U grading may count toward the Certificate with a grade of Satisfactory, but for courses with standard grading, students must complete coursework with a minimum grade of “C” or better.
  • A maximum of 3 credits of transfer coursework can be applied to the Certificate.
  • Course substitutions will be reviewed by the University Undergraduate Research Curriculum Committee on a case-by-case basis.

To whom should you recommend the Undergraduate Research Certificate?

  • ANY undergraduate student who has taken an RI or DIR course, expressed interest in research or pursuing graduate studies, and wishes to increase the probability of success after graduation.

What do students need to know about the benefits of an Undergraduate Research Certificate?

  • The Undergraduate Research Certificate appears on a student’s transcript so employers and graduate school admission officials will notice our students’ skills and achievements.
  • Employers and graduate programs seek proof of a student’s capabilities to investigate and to solve problems using critical thinking and analytical skills, to work effectively in diverse groups, to write and present effectively, to present and defend recommendations, and to act ethically.
  • The Undergraduate Research Certificate can open doors to graduate school acceptance and can provide talking points for students about research projects and accomplishments while attending FAU.

How do I ensure that the student’s academic record reflects the pursuit of the Undergraduate Research Certificate?

  • When a student notifies you that they wish to pursue the Undergraduate Research Certificate, you will submit a Plan of Study Change request through OnBase just like any other certificate.

How will I know if a student satisfies the criteria for an Undergraduate Research Certificate?

  • A DARS Audit report is being established for advisors and students to run.
  • The standard end-of-semester validation for conferral of the earned credential will be conducted by the student’s home college.
  • The student’s Undergraduate Research Certificate should be conferred upon the student completing their last course applicable to the certificate. The conferral does not need to wait for the student’s completion of their undergraduate degree.

What do I do with a student who requests a substitution for the requirements above?

Where do we go for questions?

Contact OURI@fau.edu and you College Faculty Liaison with any questions.

Undergraduate Research Certificate information for students can be  found HERE

 Last Modified 8/20/21