October 15 and March 15
Second Monday in March
Last Friday of May
Last Friday of May
Undergraduate Research Certificate
FAU now offers an Undergraduate Research Certificate, to recognize undergraduate students for systematic development of excellence in undergraduate research.
What is the Undergraduate Research Certificate?
The Undergraduate Research Certificate is a 12-credit certificate program available to undergraduate students to recognize undergraduate students for development of excellence in undergraduate research.
How do I appy for the Undergraduate research certificate?
OURI has created a stepwise instructions document for students interesting in applying for the certificate, these instructions can be found HERE.
Why should I apply for an Undergraduate Research Certificate?
- If you have been involved in undergraduate research here at FAU, this is a great way to showcase your accomplishments.
- The Undergraduate Research Certificate appears on a student’s transcript so employers and graduate school admission officials will notice our students’ skills and achievements.
- Employers and graduate programs seek proof of a student’s capabilities to investigate and to solve problems using critical thinking and analytical skills, to work effectively in diverse groups, to write and present effectively, to present and defend recommendations, and to act ethically.
- The Undergraduate Research Certificate can open doors to graduate school acceptance and can provide talking points for students about research projects and accomplishments while attending FAU.
What are the requirements for receiving the Undergraduate Research Certificate?
The requirements include 12 credit hours of specific coursework and a presentation.
Details on how these requirements can be met are seen in the following figure
- Research Exposure Courses: A list of approved courses can be found HERE
- Research Skill Building Courses: A list of approved courses can be found HERE
- Research Intensive Courses: Research intensive or RI is a formal university-wide designation for courses in which undergraduates actively engage in intensive-level research. All RI designated courses can be identified with the “RI” in the title of the course. Updated lists of RI Designated courses can be found HERE .
Directed Independent Research: Students can register for DIR credit(s) (zero to four credits) to document their semester-long work conducting faculty-mentored research on their transcripts. DIR courses fall within the “900 numbering system”, typically numbered 2915, 2916 or 4915, 4916 (some exceptions apply).
- Dissemination Presentation: Students presenting at any one of the following research symposia can get credit for Dissemination towards the certificate.
- OURI Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Wilkes Honors College Symposium
- Broward Campus Symposium
- External presentation/exhibition upon approval
For internal symposia presenters: Once your abstract has been accepted, you will be asked to register for a zero-credit course IDS 4914: Undergraduate Research Forum. There will be separate course sections for students who present at the Boca, Broward, Jupiter symposia. Details of this registration will be provided upon your abstract acceptance.
For external symposia presenters: Students who present/exhibit their research and scholarly activities external to the university, can receive credit for this presentation (if the student is included as a presenter at the event and can demonstrate proof of participation. There will be a separate course section of the zero-credit course IDS 4914: Undergraduate Research Forum.
- Courses that are taking S/U may count toward the certificate with a grade of pass or satisfactory, but for courses with standard grading, students must complete coursework with a minimum of “C” or better.
- A maximum of 3 credits transferred can be applied to the certificate.
- Course substitutions will be reviewed by the University Undergraduate research Committee on a case-by-case basis.
How will I know if I satisfy the criteria for an Undergraduate Research Certificate?
- Please reach out to your academic advisor indicating your interest in pursuing the Undergraduate Research Certificate, so they can update your academic record.
- After your academic record has been updated to reflect your pursuit of the Undergraduate Research Certificate, you can run a DARS Audit: FAU - Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
How do I apply for Undergraduate research Certificate?
OURI has created a stespwise instructions document for students interesting in applying for the certificate, these instructions can be found HERE.
For additional information students should consult with the Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry email@example.com , and/or their undergraduate advisors within the Colleges.