October and March 15
January 15, 2021
March 8, 2021
May 28, 2021
May 28, 2021
Faculty mentors play an integral role in the Undergraduate Research and Inquiry experience. This mentorship allows for the growth and development of young researchers to become successful in their respective areas. OURI offers a variety of ways for faculty to become engaged with the office, with varying time commitments. This includes Curricular and Co-Curricular programs, professional development, support and recognition events.
Are you looking for an undergraduate researcher to join on a project? Request an advertisement for a lab opening to be included on an upcoming OURI email announcement! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Project title
- Department and college
- Semester(s) offered
- Eligibility requirements
- Any required prerequisite courses?
- Project Website (if applicable)
- Faculty assigned to course and contact information
- Brief detailed project description
- Instructions on how to apply/join
- Anything else students should know before applying (commitment expectations, research location, etc.)
Annual Timeline of Events
(OURI Annual Calendar) Here you will find an annual list of opportunities for faculty and student engagement.
- Curriculum Grants Program - to support faculty integrating research into the curriculum
- Research Intensive Designation – to designate courses which include a research intensive component
- Directed Independent Research – to establish a varying-credit course for faculty-mentored research
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) - Intensive summer immersion research experiences for FAU undergraduate students
- Undergraduate Research Grants (URG) To encourage undergraduate students from all disciplines to participate in independent research and creative projects in collaboration with FAU faculty
- Undergraduate Research Symposium which showcases undergraduate students at FAU who are engaged in research, scholarship and creative activities.
- Florida Atlantic University Undergraduate Research Journal (FAURJ) is a is a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal which publishes undergraduate research articles in a single volume annually in Spring.
- Annual Professional development workshops
- Resources from past workshops
- Resources to support grant writing efforts- Feb. 24, 2016 workshop
- Faculty Support for professional development (travel, material and supplies etc.) for mentors through many of our Curricular and Co-Curricular opportunities listed above
Tracking Students Research Activities
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI) is working towards capturing individual student efforts regarding undergraduate research and inquiry under the guidance of a faculty mentor. This information will be used to showcase the impact of engaging in undergraduate research and creative activities. Please complete a short survey for students under your mentorship. The survey is aimed at collecting data specifically; those who have published, presented/competed/exhibited, won an award/fellowship/internship, received funding, and /or filed a patent. The activities reported should have be limited to those that are external to FAU. The link to the survey is provided (here)
- Annual Faculty Recognition Event –In order to recognize the efforts of the amazing faculty who expand the undergraduate research initiative, OURI hosts an annual "Faculty Recognition Event" early spring to celebrate their contributions.
- Distinguished Mentor of the year -
- Submit your Undergraduate Students' Success - OURI wants to hear about your successes! Has your student published an original work? Have they presented at a conference, symposium, or exhibition? Complete this short survey to document your students’ accomplishments.
SupportFAU Research Hub is a new "match-making" tool to create teams of researchers/scholars around projects. FAU Research Hub allows you to
· Search for research mentors looking to recruit students to be part of their team
· Learn what others across campus are working on
This app/website is now available through the app store/google play (via FAU login) or at https://researchhub.fau.edu/ . Log in or download and start looking!
Request a Classroom Visit from OURI
Peer mentors or OURI staff will present to classes and clubs about the Office and what it offers students. They will gear their presentation toward the group of students in your class and provide information relevant to the group. Presentations can be as short as 10 minutes with a brief overview of the office or as long as an hour with some engaging activities! Please email us at least ONE WEEK prior to the requested date in order for OURI to ensure the best presenters for the audience!
Email email@example.com your request, please include
Date and Time of the presentation
Location of the presentation
How long will the mentor have to present? (e.g. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.)
Number of students
Brief statement describing the group (e.g. sophomore psychology students, or juniors with a variety of majors, etc.)
any additional information that may be helpful in organizing a presentation geared towards your students
Our Faculty Resources page contains articles and best practices for faculty and students participating in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry.