October 15th, 2018
2018 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Awardee:
Dr. Myeongsub Kim,
College of Engineering and Computer Science
2018 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Finalists:
- Angela Nichols, Ph.D. Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
- Monica Escaleras, College of Business
- Seth Fallik, Ph.D. College for Design and Social Inquiry
- Tricia Meredith, Ph.D. College of Education
- Mike Kim, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Jon Moore, Ph.D. Honors College
- Ceylan Isgor, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
- Pat Liehr, Ph.D. Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing
- Mare Cudic, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Science
Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Mentorship
Faculty who serve as model mentors to their undergraduate students are eligible to receive the Distinguished Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year award. Each year, one university-wide award will be given. The Distinguished Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year will be recognized with a $2,500 award at the annual Honors Convocation.
Eligibility and Criteria for Selection
- Full time FAU faculty
- Demonstrated engagement of mentorship of students in undergraduate research and inquiry (i.e. co-curricular, curricular, individual, or group student mentorship)
- February 1st at 5:00 p.m.: Deans selection of College Nominee- Letter of Support submitted to OURI
- February 5th College Nominees notified by OURI
- February 26th at 5:00 p.m.: College Nominee applications due on FluidReview
- April TBA 2019 Announcement of Distinguished Mentor at Honors Convocation
Deans will be asked to nominate one candidate from their college to OURI. The nomination should be in the form of a formal letter of recommendation from the Dean. Colleges can establish their own process for internal selection or nominations. College candidates will be notified of their nomination, and asked to submit an application to OURI.
College Nominees will be asked to submit the following information on FluidReview:
- A Personal Statement (max 2 pages) that includes:
- statement of undergraduate student mentorship philosophy.
- evidences of your undergraduate research mentorship.
- impact of undergraduate research on the culture of FAU.
- Two letters of support from undergraduate student research mentees. These may be written from the curricular or co-curricular research perspectives. (max 1 page)
- A current curriculum vitae highlighting evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry student involvement, including co-curricular student mentorship, curricular, and other. Note: please use the highlighter tool to indicate undergraduate research activities.
Final selection of the DMOY will be made by the College Faculty liaisons and student representatives from the Council for Scholarship and Inquiry, based on the application materials provided and the letter of recommendation from the Dean or Dean’s Designee.
Previous Distinguished Mentors
2018 Myeongsub Kim, Ph,D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
2017 Julie L. Earles, Ph.D. Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
2016 Tobin Hindle, Ph.D. College of Science
2015 Daniel de Lill, Ph.D. College of Science
2014 Daniel Meeroff, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science