October and March 15
January 15, 2021
March 8, 2021
May 28, 2021
May 28, 2021
Distinguished Mentor of the Year
Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Mentorship
Faculty who serve as model mentors to their undergraduate research students are eligible to receive the Distinguished Mentor of the Year: Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry award. Each year, one university-wide award will be given based on the undergraduate research engagement in the previous year. The Distinguished Mentor of the Year will be recognized with a $2,500 award at the annual Honors Convocation.
- Any permanent, full-time faculty including tenured/tenure track faculty, non-tenured faculty, instructors, multi-year appointees, scientist/scholars, and research faculty who have been employed for one continuous year.
- Faculty must have engaged as direct mentors of students in undergraduate research and inquiry, to include co-curricular (e.g grants, publications, presentations), curricular (e.g. RI Courses, DIR and DIS), as well as individual and group student mentoring.
- Previous award winners are no longer eligible.
- January 25th, 2021 Call for faculty applications/nominations
- February 10th, 2021 Complete applications due to the Deans/Directors office
- February 24th, 2021 Deans submit College nominee and application materials to OURI
- February 26th 2021 Faculty Honors and Awards committee begin review
- April 14th, 2021 Award presented at the Honors Convocation
Contact information for College Submission
Faculty interested in applying for College consideration should send complete DMOY application packages to the following College contacts by Feb 10th :
||Ms. Taina Teran:||TTERAN@fau.edu|
||Ms. Ginger Hale:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
||Ms. Suzanne Nichols:||email@example.com|
||Dr. Shihong Huang:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
||Mrs. Sandra Ogden:||email@example.com|
||Dr. Joanna Drowos:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
||Ms. Bernadette Bastienemail@example.com|
||Dr. Warner A. Miller:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
||Dr. Vaughn Crichlow:||email@example.com|
- All materials should be submitted as a single PDF document to the Dean’s office
- All materials submitted should highlight the undergraduate research mentorship the faculty conducted within the last three years
- Nomination applications should be organized according to the following categories.
A. A Personal statement (max 2 pages) that include
- Statement of undergraduate student mentorship philosophy
- Evidences of your undergraduate research mentorship
- Impact of undergraduate research on the culture of FAU
B. Two letters of support from undergraduate students research mentees. These may be written from the curricular or co-curricular research perspective (max one page each)
C. A current curriculum vitae highlighting evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry student involvement, including co-curricular student mentorship, curricular, service and other undergraduate-research related activities.
Final College nominations should also include a letter of nomination from the College Dean/ Director.
Complete details and guidelines for the DMOY award can be found HERE
Previous Distinguished Mentors
2019 Monica Escaleras, Ph.D. College of Business
2018 Myeongsub Kim, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
2017 Julie L. Earles, Ph.D. Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
2016 Tobin Hindle, Ph.D. College of Science
2015 Daniel de Lill, Ph.D. College of Science
2014 Daniel Meeroff, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
2019 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Awardee:
Dr. Monica Escaleras,
College of Business
2019 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Finalists:
- Brian McConnell, Ph.D. Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
- Monica Escaleras, College of Business
- Seth Fallik, Ph.D. College for Design and Social Inquiry
- Oscar Curet, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Ashley Kennedy, Ph.D. Honors College
- Mahyar Nouri-Shirazi, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
- William Hahn, Ph.D. Charles E. Schmidt College of Science