January 10, 2020
January 15, 2020
March 2, 2020
May 29, 2020
May 29, 2020
OURI Undergraduate Researchers of the Year Award
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI) invite nominations for the Annual Undergraduate Researcher of the Year awards. Each year one student from every college will be selected for this award. Students will be recognized at the annual Honors Convocation and receive a $500 stipend and an "Undergraduate Research Scholar" Stole to wear during their graduation ceremony *new in the 2019 year*.
Nomination Deadline: First Friday in February
Eligibility. Students must:
- have participated in at least two semesters of documented faculty-mentored undergraduate research and inquiry at FAU within the past calendar year
- be an actively enrolled student at FAU during the semester the awards are given (Spring) (Note: all research in the previous calendar year [January-December] must have been conducted as an undergraduate)
- be in good academic standing at FAU
- agree to present an oral presentation at the annual spring Undergraduate Research Symposium
Applications and Review Process
- All applications should be completed on FluidReview by the first Friday in February
- Applications must be complete to be considered (see application guidelines). Self-nominations are encouraged.
- A committee consisting of faculty, staff, and students will select three student nominees from each college and forward them to the college deans for final selection.
- College deans will be asked to select students for these awards based on student involvement in research, inquiry, or scholarly activities and submit the college awardee to OURI.
- Selected Undergraduate Researchers of the Year will be recognized at the annual Honors Convocation in April.
TimelineFirst Friday in February Nominations and Applications due
Mid-February Names and applications of three nominees will be sent to college deans for selection
Early March Names of final college awardees due to OURI from deans
April TBD Announcement of Undergraduate Researchers of the Year at Honors Convocation
A complete application should include:
- Completed Online Nomination Form
- Current resume or curriculum vitae of the student (Maximum 5 pages) including the following if applicable:
- Evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry participation
- Evidences of research achievements. This could include presentations, exhibitions, publications, competitions, awarded grants etc.
- A letter of support from faculty research mentor.
The evaluation is based on the quality and quantity of research conducted by the FAU student
2018 Undergraduates of the Year!
(From Left to right: Lisa Victor, Stephen Hoover, Isabella Velasquez Botero, Reinaldo Dos Santos, Abhimanyu Ahuja, Michael Correa, Alexandria Remillard, Sydney Elney)
Not pictured: Alexander Bruens
Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
Awardee: Alexander Bruens
Faculty Mentor: Angela D. Nichols
College of Business
Awardee: Sydney Elney
Faculty Mentor: Monica Escaleras
College for Design and Social Inquiry
Awardee: Alexandria Remillard
Faculty Mentor: Seth Fallik
College of Education
Awardee: Michael Correa
Faculty Mentor: Michael Whitehurst
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Awardee: Reinaldo Dos Santos
Faculty Mentor: Hassan Mahfuz
Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
Awardee: Abhimanyu Ahuja
Faculty Mentor: Kirill Martemyanov
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Awardee: Lisa Victor
Faculty Mentor: Mahyar Nouri-Shirazi
College of Nursing
Awardee: Isabella Velasquez Botero
Faculty Mentor: Patricia Liehr
Charles E. Schmidt College of Science
Awardee: Stephen Hoover
Faculty Mentor: Elan Barenholtz