Dr. Bernardo J. Reyes Fernandez, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Geriatric Medicine, Assistant Medical Director for Team Health at Delray Medical Center, and Interim Geriatrics and Palliative Care Clerkship Director
BC 71, Room 213
Bernardo Reyes, MD., is a board-certified Internist and Geriatrician. He is an Assistant Professor of Geriatrics at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University where he serves as the Interim Geriatrics and Palliative Care Clerkship Director. Dr. Reyes is also the attending physician for our Inpatient Geriatric Service at Delray Medical Center and preceptor at our Residents Outpatient Clinic in Boca Raton.
After finishing his Internal Medicine training in the State of West Virginia, Dr. Reyes relocated to Boston where he joined the staff of Massachusetts General Hospital and became an Instructor at Harvard Medical School. During his tenure, he developed the first geriatric co-managed orthopedic service between MGH and Harvard Orthopedic Trauma to later becoming the Charlotte Bloomberg Fellow in Geriatric Medicine and receiving formal training as a geriatrician. In the latest phase of his career, he worked as a staff geriatrician at Cleveland Clinic Florida before transitioning to his new role at FAU.
His scholarly activity includes seven chapters in text books including the latest edition of Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, editorials and letters to the editor in different journals including the New England Journal of Medicine, original peer-reviewed research publications, as well as multiple posters and oral presentations in regional, national and international venues. His research portfolio is focused in the areas of safe transitions of care of at-risk older adults and early identification of sepsis in the post-acute setting. In addition, he designed and implemented an international exchange program between FAU and Universidad de Navarra for FAU students to learn Medical Spanish and the differences between the health care systems in Europe and the US.
- 1999: M.D. Universidad de Zulia, Venezuela
- 2016-present: Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science and Associate Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Geriatrics/Palliative Care Rotation, Department of Integrated Medical Science, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- 2015-Present: Affiliated Assistant Professor, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- 2014-Present: Associate Staff, Cleveland Clinic- Department of Geriatrics, Weston, FL
- 2013-2014: Geriatric Medicine Fellow, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2012-2014: Attending Physician, Spaulding North End, Boston, MA
- 2011-2014: Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2011-2013: Staff Physician and Co-Director, Geriatric Inpatient Fracture Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2011-2014: Hospitalist, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2010-2011: Hospitalist, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 2007-2010: Categorical Internal Medicine Resident, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 2005-2011 Clinical Assistant Professor, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- 2004-2007: Research Scientist, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 2002-2004: Research Fellow, Charleston Area Medical Center, Charleston, WV
- 1999-2002: Rural Physician, Hospital San Jose, Venezuela
- Reyes B, Meldelson D, Mears S, Nana A, Ouslander J. "Post-Acute Management of Older Adults Suffering an Osteoporotic Hip Fracture: A Consensus Statement from the International Geriatric Fracture Society" Accepted for Publication in Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation. 2020; 11; 1-15
- Ouslander JG, Reyes B, Diaz S, Engstrom G. Thirty-Day Hospital Readmissions in a Care Transitions Program for High-Risk Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020;10.1111
- Huckfeldt P , Reyes BJ, Engstrom G, Ouslander J.G Evaluation of a Multicomponent Care Transitions Program for High-Risk Hospitalized Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2019 Oct 67 (10) :1–9
- Yoshikawa TT, Reyes BJ, Ouslander JG. Sepsis in Older Adults in Long-term Care Facilities: Challenges in Diagnosis and Management. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 Nov;67(11):2234-2239.
- Reyes BJ, Ouslander JG. Transitions Programs for Older Adults-A Worldwide Need. Eur Geriatr Med 2019 10: 387.
- Ouslander J.G, Engstrom G, Reyes BJ, Tappen, R. Management of Acute Changes in Condition in Skilled Nursing Facilities . Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2018 Dec 66 (4) :2259–2266
- Huckfeldt P, Engstrom G, Tappen R, Rojido C, Newman D, Reyes B, Ouslander J.G, Degree of Implementation of INTERACT Quality Improvement Program Associated with Reduced Hospitalizations. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2018 Sep; 66(1):1830-1837
- Reyes BJ, Chang J, Vaynberg L, Diaz S, Ouslander, J. Early Identification and Management of Sepsis in Nursing Facilities: Challenges and Opportunities Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2018 Jun; 19,(6):465–471
- Reyes B, Galindo D, Lopez J, Briceno M, Ouslander J. Outcomes of elderly patients seeking care at ambulatory urgent care facilities. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2017 Dec; 65 (12): 2702-2706
- Reyes B, Casale J. TVAR and incidence of dementia in moderate risk older adults. New England Journal of Medicine. 2017 Jul ; 377:195-198
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Sheets NW, Reyes B, Emmett M, Dean S, Snelling B, Wingo MJ. Thoracolumbar burst fractures treated with the Verte-Span titanium cage. West Virginia Medical Journal. 2012 Nov-Dec;108(6):6-10.
- Reyes BJ, Broce, M. Mildly Reduced EF predicts stroke among elderly patient undergoing surgery. West Virginia’s First Case. West Virginia Medical Journal. 2012 Sep-Oct; 108(5):
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Shelford DL, Reyes BJ. Induced Moderate Hypothermia for the Treatment of Severe Traumatic Head Injury: West Virginia’s First Case. West Virginia Medical Journal. 2009 May-Jun;105(3):10-2.
- Bracero L,Broce M, Maher K, Reyes B The investigation of missing paternal information in birth certificates and low birth weight Journal Maternal Fetal Neonatal Medicine. 2009 Mar 26:1-6
- Warwick T, Broce M, Reyes B Neurology consults in post CABG TIA American Journal of Medical Quality
- Farberow B, Hatton V, Leenknecht C, Goldberg LR, Hornung CA, Reyes B. Caveat emptor: the need for evidence, regulation, and certification of home telehealth systems for the management of chronic conditions. American Journal of Medical Quality. 2008 May-Jun;23(3):208-14
- Schmidt JH 3rd, Reyes BJ, Fischer R, Flaherty SK. Use of hinge craniotomy for cerebral decompression. Technical note. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2007 Sep;107(3):678-82. Cover of September Issue.
- John K, Reyes BJ, Thachil R, Flaherty S, Emmett M. Brain death: a challenging diagnosis in trauma patients. West Virginia Medical Journal. 2007 May-Jun;103(3):13-6
- Jubelirer SJ, Reyes B, Broce M, Elhabyan AK, Mimnagh K, Rosencrance JG, Warwick T, Emmett MK. Pharmacological Thromboembolic Prophylaxis for Medical Patients in a Tertiary Care, Teaching Community Hospital: Room for Improvement. West Virginia Medical Journal. 2008 Jan-Feb;104(1):10-4.
- Reyes, BJ Data safety monitoring boards in the drug approval process. Socra Source. 2008 Jan-Feb; 22:23-35
- Warwick CT, Reyes BJ, Ayoob MR, Subit M. Adult diagnosed Dandy Walker malformation presenting as an acute brainstem event--a case report and review of the literature. W V Med J. 2008 Jan-Feb;104(1):25-7
- Jami P, Smith P, Moningi S, Moningi V, Martin SA, Rosencrance G, Reyes BJ. Compliance with Joint National Committee 7 guidelines in hypertension management in a teaching. institution. American Journal of Medical Quality. 2007 Jul-Aug;22(4):251-8.
- Hallak O, Shams SA, Broce M, Lavigne PS, Lucas BD, Elhabyan AK, Reyes BJ. Similar Success Rates with Bivalirudin and Unfractionated Heparin in Bare-Metal Stent Implantation. Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology. 2007 May 17; [Epub ahead of print]
- Hallak OK, Cubeddu RJ, Griffith RA, Reyes BJ. The Use of the D-STAT((R)) Dry Bandage for the Control of Vascular Access Site Bleeding: A Multicenter Experience in 376 Patients.
Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology. 2007 Jul-Aug;30(4):593-600.
- Warwick TC, Griffith J, Reyes B, Legesse B, Evans M. Effects of vagus nerve stimulation in a patient with temporal lobe epilepsy and Asperger syndrome: case report and review of the literature. Epilepsy Behav. 2007 Mar;10(2):344-7. Epub 2007 Feb 14.
- Elhabyan A, Broce M, Rosencrance JG, Lucas BD, Nakker S, Reyes BJ. The quantitative immunoturbidimetric D-dimer method to rule out venous thromboembolism (VTE). West Virginia Medical Journal. 2007 Jan-Feb;103(1):22-5.
- Lipton JA, Broce M, Lucas D, Mimnagh K, Matthews A, Reyes BJ, Burdette J, Wagner GS, Warren SG. Comprehensive Hospital Care Improvement Strategies Reduce Time to Treatment in ST-Elevation Acute Myocardial Infarction. Critical Pathways in Cardiology. 2006 Mar;5(1):29-33
- Broce M, Reyes B Presentation of diagnostic test accuracy. Ann Intern Med. 2006 Feb 7;144(3):220-1; author reply 221-2
- Reyes BJ, Hallak O, Elhabyan AK, Lucas BD Jr, Kasem H. Angina with "normal" coronary arteries. JAMA. 2005 May 25;293(20):2468-9.
- Elhabyan AK, Reyes BJ, Hallak O, Broce M, Rosencrance JG, Lucas BD, Fazal H. Subendocardial ischemia without coronary artery disease: is elevated left ventricular end diastolic pressure the culprit? Current Medical Research and Opinion. 2004 May;20(5):773-7.
- Sehgal M, Hidlebaugh E, Checketts MG, Reyes B, Geriatrics Screening and Assessment, In: Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice Drowos, J ed., Philadelphia, Saunders, 2019.
- Reyes B, Rehabilitation. Self-Assessment Modules, In: Harper GM, Lyons WL, Potter JF, eds. Geriatrics Review Syllabus: A Core Curriculum in Geriatric Medicine, 10th ed. New York, NY: American Geriatrics Society; 2019
- Ouslander, JG and Reyes B, Clinical Problems Associated with the Aging Process, In: Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, J. Larry Jameson, Anthony S. Fauci, Dennis L. Kasper, Stephen L. Hauser, Dan L. Longo, Joseph Loscalzo ed., McGraw-Hill, 2018
- Reyes B, Malhotra J, Polypharmacy, In: Osteoporotic Fracture Care—Medical and Surgical Management. Blauth M, Kates SL, Nicholas JA ed., Stuttgart: Thieme Verlag, 2018.
- Reyes B, Dabage, N, Sadler, D, Postacute Care, In: Osteoporotic Fracture Care—Medical and Surgical Management, Blauth M, Kates SL, Nicholas JA ed., Stuttgart: Thieme Verlag, 2018.
- Reyes B, Sehgal M, Ouslander JG, Nursing Home Assessment, In: Handbook of geriatric assessment, Bogner, Hillary R., Terry Fulmer, and Gregory J. Paveza, eds. Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2018.
- Reyes, B, Franco, E, Hernandez, A, Medical Complications In: The adult hip Callaghan, John J., Aaron G. Rosenberg, and Harry E. Rubash, eds. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016.
- 2015-Present: Board of Directors, International Geriatric Fracture Society
- 2013-2014: Pneumonia Re-admission Committee, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2013-2014: Care Redesign Committee, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2011-2014: Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Research Committee, Partners Orthopedic Trauma
- 2004-2007: Osteoporosis & Arthritis Program Advisory Panel, West Virginia Bureau of Public Health
- 2003-2004: Institutional Review Board, West Virginia University
Honors and Prizes
- 2014: Partners Excellence Award (Pneumonia Readmission Team), Partners in Healthcare Inc.
- 2014: Harold Amos Faculty Diversity Award (Nominee), Harvard Medical School
- 2013: Charlotte R Bloomberg Fellow in Geriatric Medicine, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- 2012: Partners Excellence Award (Geriatric Inpatient Fracture Service), Partners in Healthcare Inc.
- 2010: Best Poster Trainee Competition, American Geriatric Society
- 2004: Cardiovascular Young Investigator Award, Astra Zeneca