What is Owl Breaks?
Owl Breaks (formerly known as Alternative Spring Break) is an opportunity to spend your Course/Semester Break, serving a community in need. You will travel with other students and staff members to a city within and outside of Florida where you will immerse yourself in service projects and learn about a particular social issue affecting that community.
Owl Breaks will be one of the best weeks of your life – a chance to dedicate an entire week to serving others and learning about a new community. It's an opportunity to make new friends and come back with a new perspective on a complex issue.
Why is Owl Breaks considered an "alternative" break?
Owl Breaks trips are a week "on" instead of a week "off" – you will have the incredible opportunity to use your break from courses to pursue a love of service and an interest in a particular social issue. Owl Breaks are also substance (drug and alcohol) free, offering students an alternative to the more traditional course (winter, spring, summer) breaks.
What are the benefits of going on an Owl Breaks Trip?
- Use your course/semester break to make a difference
- Make new long-lasting friendships
- Learn about a social issue by working alongside those directly affected
- Build leadership skills and future involvement opportunities
- Travel to a new and interesting city or location
- Immerse yourself in a new culture and lifestyle
- Have fun!
- Give back!
What is expected of me?
- Participants will be expected to pass a conduct check administered through the FAU Dean of Student's Office
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Attend all trip orientation meetings
- Be an active participant in the Owl Breaks experience, including: strong and direct service, orientation/education, training, reflection, reorientation, commitment to diversity.
- All Owl Breaks experiences are Alcohol and Other Drug Free
- In keeping with our principle of "Simple Living", we utilize a $5 per person per day meal guideline to so that we are also able to learn what it's like to truly experience the community in which we are serving.
Owl Breaks Locations
FAU's Owl Breaks Spring Break program offers students the opportunity to travel during Spring Break to make a change through direct volunteer work. Each Owl Break trip focuses on a specific social issue, where students are immersed in the local culture, make a difference, and create memories, friendships, and an increased awareness of community.
More information about the 2019-2020 Owl Breaks locations will be released at the beginning of the new Academic Year.
Homelessness and Food Insecurity - Spring Break 2019
Disaster Relief in Puerto Rico - Summer 2018
Children's Health Awareness in Pensacola, FL - Spring Break 2018
Human Trafficking and Youth Empowerment in Clearwater, FL- Spring Break 2018
Arts and Homelessness Awareness in Miami, FL - Spring Break 2018
Community Development in Roanoke, VA - Spring Break 2018
Food Insecurity in Fort Myers, FL – Thanksgiving Break 2017
Disaster Relief in the Florida Keys, and Key West, FL – Winter Break 2017