A partnership between Student Affairs & Enrollment Management and Academic Affairs
What is Florida Connect?
Florida Connect is a two-year Residential Learning Community for out-of-state students to help you connect with each other, work through challenges together, and make Florida and FAU your new home away from home. In Florida Connect, 46 first-year students from outside of Florida live together in either Heritage Park Towers or Parliament Hall and have a set of supports and experiences to help you succeed.
In your second year, you have the option to live in any on-campus residence hall as part of the Sophomore Year Experience (SYE) program or in Indian River Tower as part of the Career Living Community (must be qualified and accepted into the CLC program) where you may have the opportunity to serve in a paid internship as a mentor to next year’s Florida Connect students!
Why Should I Join?
- Florida Connect students get to move in early and participate in a special Camp Owls experience to start building strong friendships and skills right away.
- Florida Connect students will have someone OSSM (pronounced “awesome”) to guide them. An OSSM is an Out-of-State Student Mentor who has already made a successful transition to FAU from outside of Florida who will meet with you to help guide and support you.
- Florida Connect students will have a dedicated academic advisor, Ms. Angel Nevin, who moved to Florida when she was as a college student, too.
- Florida Connect students will have a Resident Assistant (RA) who has also come to FAU from outside of Florida and will be able to relate to your experience.
- During both fall and spring semesters, Florida Connect students will go on excursions to some of Florida’s significant and unique places to experience them firsthand! Possible examples include:
- Learn about Florida as a center for hospitality and tourism and visit Disney World to identify how they put hospitality into practice;
- Learn about the Everglades as a unique environmental and ecological habitat and then participate in a visit to the Everglades with airboat rides;
- Learn about the Latin American and Caribbean cultures in South Florida and spend the day in Miami visiting cultural locations and tasting their traditional foods;
- Learn about the marine life in Florida and visit Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, or Marine Lab in the Keys; and more… The possibilities are endless!
- In the Fall, Florida Connect students will take a 2-credit course created just for you. In this course you will learn about making the transition as an out-of-state student (with a focus on connecting, succeeding academically, and ensuring your out-of-class success) while also learning interesting things about your new state through the eyes of FAU faculty.
- In the Spring, students will take a 0-credit (no tuition!) course in which you will continue building college-level academic success strategies and start reflecting on your first year in college, in Florida, and in the Florida Connect Learning Community.
- Students who successfully complete this two-year program with a minimum of 3.0 FAU GPA and 60 credits before the start of their third fall semester will be awarded a tuition waiver for three credits in their junior year- worth over $2100!
For both Fall and Spring semesters, select local trips will be offered at minimal cost to students, while some of the larger excursions will be offered at significantly reduced costs.
This is great! How do I sign-up?
If this sounds like a great way for you to start your FAU experience in fall 2018, apply for Florida Connect by completing the following by Wednesday, May 23, 2018*:
- Submit this form: Florida Connect Acceptance Form
- Complete the FAU Housing contract with application fee
- Complete the FAU Residential Learning Community contract (with FLORIDA CONNECT as your selected Learning Community)
*Please note that this program may fill BEFORE the May 23rd deadline so apply TODAY!
- Register for orientation
- Complete the Online Advising & Resource System (OARS)
- Remove your immunization hold and all other registration holds
- Complete the ALEKS PPL math assessment if you are coming to FAU without prior credit for college level math
We are excited to offer you this opportunity and look forward to you joining us in the fall. For questions or more information, contact email@example.com.