The Desk Staff is highly valued by the Department of Housing and Residential Education at FAU. We count on our Desk Staff to provide outstanding quality customer service to the students, staff, faculty, and visitors of FAU. As a Desk Staff member, your primary role is that of a resource person. You serve as the primary contact person for visitors, students, and most importantly to our residents. As a resource person, you help your customer find the information they seek.
Housing and Residential Education employs two Desk Staff positions, Desk Assistants (DA) and Community Service Officers (CSO). These positions are separate and cannot be held concurrently.
Desk Assistants work primarily during the day between the hours of 6am and 9pm. This position is compensated $10.00 per hour. Desk Assistants are responsible as a point of contact for residents, guests, and members of the FAU community. Reporting to the Building Operations Manager, the Desk Assistant performs administrative duties to help meet the needs of their assigned community.
Community Service Officers work during the night between the hours of 9pm and 6am. This position is compensated $12.00 per hour. In addition to performing similar administrative duties as the Desk Assistant, the Community Service Officers work collaboratively to ensure a safe living environment in the residence halls during the overnight timeframe. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Safety, the Community Service Officers maintain close communication with each other and members of University Police to address safety concerns in the residential communities.Desk Staff Application Process Timeline
Monday Feb. 19 – Monday, Feb. 26
||DA Informational Tabling in each hall|
|Monday Feb. 26 at 9:00 a.m.||Application opens on HR website (jobs.fau.edu)|
|Wednesday Mar. 14 at 11:59 p.m.||Applications close on HR website|
|Friday, March 16||Interviews (Nations MPR) from 9 - 5 p.m. – you must be available on this day|
|Friday, March 23||Desk Staff hiring decisions sent out|
I am interested in becoming a Desk Staff Member.
Desk Staff Qualifications and Employment Expectations The minimum qualifications for desk staff members are listed below. The Office of Housing and Residential Education will verify that you meet all expectations prior to extending offers out to candidates.
- You must be enrolled as a full-time, FAU degree-seeking student for each semester of employment.
- Undergraduate student status: registered for 12 (not to exceed 17) credit hours per semester.
- Graduate student status: registered for a 9 (not to exceed 12) credit hours per semester.
- Have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.50 or a 3.0 (Graduate GPA) at the time of application.
- Be in good standing with Florida Atlantic University and the Department of Housing and Residential Education (i.e. no disciplinary probation, outstanding financial obligations, etc.).
- A respect for, and appreciation of, the diversity of the University Housing population.
- A commitment to personal and professional development while in the role.
- All desk staff are required to attend a department Fall 2018 “kick-off” meeting on Friday March 30, 2018. Additional details will be shared if offered a position.
- All desk staff, new and returning, are expected to return early for training. Training will begin tentatively on Monday, August 6, 2018 for the fall semester and Wednesday, January 2, 2018 for the spring semester. Additional details will be shared at the March 30, 2018 meeting if you are offered a position.
- All desk staff are required to complete all background checks and onboarding processes before April 27, 2018.
- All Community Service Officers are required to pass an additional background check with University Police, pass a drug test, and have your fingerprints taken. Additional information will be provided in the offer packet.
For more information about the Desk Staff Selection Process, e-mail DASAselection@fau.edu.
If you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, in addition to completing a Student Assistant Application form for the Department of Housing and Residential Education, you are required to complete the on-line Student Application through PeopleAdmin (FAU on-line database) before you are eligible for FAU employment. You can access it through the FAU Employment site and "Create Application". Select Student Application. Please do this as soon as possible. Also if you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, go to the FAU Student Employment site and click on "Just Hired" to see what steps you must follow and forms you need to complete to be employed.
If you are interested in a long term career with Florida Atlantic University please visit FAU Employment for the current FAU career opportunities.