Guidelines for Honors Compacts for the University Honors Program
Purpose: To provide a mechanism for students to receive honors credit in a course for which enrollment in a designated honors section is not possible.
Definition: An honors compact is an agreement between a student and an instructor that, under the instructor’s guidance, the student will complete an enhancement of a course that significantly enriches his or her educational experience in a manner consistent with other courses that receive honors credit at Florida Atlantic University.
An honors compact is:
An honors compact is not:
An honors compact must:
1. As soon as possible, and ideally no later than the third week of the semester, the student will submit, electronically, to the Assistant Director of the University Honors Program (UHP) a copy of the course syllabus (with the potential meeting dates highlighted) and an electronically completed Honors Compact Proposal and Approval form , which both the student and the instructor of the course have signed. See Instructions for Signing Fillable PDF's Using Adobe Acrobat .
2. The Assistant Director of the UHP will review the application and the student’s GPA as soon as possible and will notify the student and the instructor whether the honors compact has been approved or must be revised.
3. Each honors compact must be initiated by the student and completed with all required signatures no later than the last official day of final examinations for any term.
4. The instructor will then notify the Assistant Director of the UHP whether or not an honors compact has been successfully completed no later than the last official day of final examinations for any term.
5. The Assistant Director of the UHP, or for the UHP students, the Undergraduate Studies Dean’s designee will provide the registrar with a list of all successfully completed honors compacts no later than the day that grades are due in the registrar’s office.
6. In the event that, due to circumstances beyond his or her control, the student is granted an official Incomplete in the course, the honors compact must be completed no later than the date when all other course requirements must be completed.
7. Any appeals involving an honors compact should follow the appeals procedure (as detailed in the Code of Academic Integrity) although the Chair of the University Honors Council may be consulted during the process. Normal university deadlines for all grade changes still apply.
If you have any questions, please contact Mary Downing Patterson, Assistant Director, University Honors Program at firstname.lastname@example.org .