Scholarship, research, and other creative activity
Journal publications in progress
- Dukes, C., & Darling, S. M., (Eds.) (under review). Special Education Teacher Education in the 21st Century: Evolving Approaches? [Special Issue]. Teacher Education and Special Education.
- Dukes, C., Darling, S. M., & Doan, K. (under review). Selection pressures on special education teacher preparation: Issues shaping our future. Teacher Education and Special Education.
- Vernon-Dotson, L., Floyd, L., Dukes, C, & Darling, S. M. (accepted). The role of the professional in professional development: The critical nature of expertise and experience in special education teacher preparation. Teacher Education and Special Education.
- Darling, S. M., & Dukes, C., Jones, T., & Doan, K. (submitted). Designing culturally responsive interventions for students from diverse backgrounds: Transforming teachers’ approach. Interdisciplinary Journal of Teaching and Learning.
- Mamah, V., Deku, P., Darling. S. M., & Avoke, S. (2011). University teachers’ perception of inclusion of visually impaired in Ghanaian universities. International Journal of Special Education, 26 (1), 70-79.
- LaRocque, M., Kleiman, I., & Darling, S. M., (2011). Parental involvement: The missing link in student achievement. Preventing School Failure, 55(3), 115-122.
- Darling, S. M. (Spring/Summer 2007). Providing positive behavioral supports within inclusive settings. Dimensions of Early Childhood, 35(2), 23-24.
- Darling, S. M., & Gallagher, P. A. (2004). Needs of and supports for African American and European American caregivers of young children with special needs in urban and rural settings. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 24(2), 98-109.
- Gallagher, P., Rhodes, C. A., & Darling, S. M. (2004). Parents as professionals in early intervention: A Parent Educator Model. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 24(1), 5-13.
- Darling, S. M. & Gallagher, P. A. (2003). Using self-assessments in early intervention training. Journal of Early Intervention, 25(3), 219-227.
- LaRocque, M. M., & Darling, S. M. (Eds.). (2008). Blended curriculum in the inclusive K-3 classroom: Teaching ALL young children. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Chapters in books
- Darling, S. M. & LaRocque, M. M. (2008). Overview of young children with exceptional needs. In M. LaRocque and S. Darling (Eds.), Blended curriculum in the inclusive K-3 classroom: Teaching ALL young children. (pp. 32-60). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Darling, S. M. (2005). Literacy and the Black woman. In J. Kilgour Dowdy (Ed.), Readers of the quilt: Essays on being Black, female and literate (pp. 15-26). New Jersey: Hampton Press.
- Sileo, N. M., Stanford, P., Dieker, L., Darling, S. M., & Murawski, W. (2004). Walking the tightrope: Balancing home, life, and professional responsibilities. Conference Proceedings, 27th Annual Teacher Education Division Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- Darling, S. M. (2003). Comparison of the needs and sources of support of urban and Rural caregivers of young children with special needs. Conference Proceedings, 2003 ACRES Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Darling, S. M. & Wise, I. B. (2000). Mentoring African American doctoral students: A solution for retention. Conference Proceedings, 23rd Annual Teacher Education Division Annual Conference. Las Vegas, NV.
- Darling, S. M., & LaRocque, M. L. (2006, unfunded). Preparing personnel to work with young children with special needs. United States Department of Education/OSEP
- Darling, S. M., & LaRocque, M. L. (2005, unfunded). Project live, learn, and play: Professional development for infant toddler developmental specialist. United States Department of Education/OSEP