James Patterson Teacher Education Scholarships
To apply, submit a complete application packet either through email or hard copy to the Department of Teaching and Learning no later than 5:00 p.m. Thursday, September 23, 2021. Incomplete packets will not be considered. All students who apply for the scholarship will be notified of decisions as they are made.
Application Packet Checklist:
- Completed application scholarship form.
- Two-page (double-spaced) essay describing your goals and aspirations as a teacher who will be responsible for helping children develop a passion for reading.
- Unofficial Transcripts
- To be eligible, students must maintain full-time enrollment and expect to graduate no sooner than spring semester, 2022.
- Students must maintain an overall 3.0 GPA.
- Students must confirm with financial aid that they are able to receive the full award. $7,500 per academic year; $3750 per semester.
- Awardees will participate in a one (1) hour learning community at least once each month in addition to your regular coursework.
- Awardees may be eligible for a weekly specialized field placement of at least a half day designed to support your development as a teacher who helps children develop a passion for reading.
- At the conclusion of the spring semester, 2022, awardees will prepare and submit a written report on practical and feasible ways to support reading practice in your community and how your experiences from this year contribute to your preparation to promote literacy. These reports will be shared with the donor.
Send your application and all supporting materials to the Department of Teaching and Learning at DeptTeachLearn@fau.edu or deliver a hard copy to the department at the address below. Applications and all supplemental materials must be received no later than 5 p.m., Thursday, September 23, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Department of Teaching and Learning Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
Interview, Selection, and Award Process:
- Finalists will be announced as decisions are made and the initial meeting of the scholarship recipients will be held at a time/location to be determined.