Q: Where can I sign up for Camp Owls?

A: Registration for trips are available online at in the Outdoor Adventures section.

Q: Where can I get the registration packets?

A: Registration packets are available on the FORMS page to the left.

Q: Do I need to have any prior outdoor experience to participate?

A: Camp Owls is open to students of all levels of experience. The activities are all beginner friendly and appropriate instruction will be provided.

Q: When is early move-in?

A: Students who have registered for a Camp Owls Experience trip and are living on-campus in the fall will be able to move in to their Residence Hall prior to trip departure. Registering for Camp Owls does NOT guarantee fall housing. Please make sure your housing contract is complete.

Q: What do I do if I cannot get my parking pass before the trip leaves?

A: For students living on-campus or commuting applications for a parking decal should be available the week before classes start. If you are not able to apply for one before the trip we ask that you complete the Participant Waiver and Hold Harmless Form, and return it to the Parking and Transportation office located in the Student Services office no less than 10 business days before the trip. Do not park in any of the garages on-campus during your trip; Parking and Transportation may ticket your vehicle.

Q: Will I be able to contact my parents/guardians while on the trip?

A: Cell phone service may or may not be available in all locations that you will be visiting. It is advised that you and your parents understand that you may not be in contact while on the trip. All of our student leaders go through specific training for these trips. All leaders will have a charged cell phone on them to make contact in case of an emergency. Your parents/guardians will be able to contact University Police, who will contact the field staff if they need to relay any emergencies at home.

Q: Where will we be staying on the trip?

A: You will be camping in tents at your designated trip location that you selected during registration.

Q: Can I bring my own tent if I have one?

A: No. Due to campground restrictions at State Parks we are limited to two tents per campsite. All tents and group gear will be provided while on trip.

Q: What is included in the price of the trip?

A: The trip includes: housing for early move-in, food while camping, group gear such as tents, stoves and cookware, all reservations for campsites and activities, and transportation from campus to the location and activities. We do suggest that you bring some extra cash in case we stop for food and snacks on the way. Personal camping equipment such as sleeping bags and sleeping pads are not included, but are available for rent on a first come, first served basis.

Q: Do I need to bring my own food if I have dietary restrictions?

A: No, our trips accommodate for any dietary restrictions that you might have, as long as prior notice is provided on the Medical and Waiver Form.

Q: Who do I contact if I have any questions?

A: You are always welcome to ask us any questions emailing us at or calling 561-297-4512.

 Last Modified 5/8/18