FAU's Theatre Lab Playwright's Forum to Feature Nilo Cruz
by FAU College of Arts and Letters | Monday, Sep 18, 2017
Theatre Lab, the professional resident company of Florida Atlantic University, continues its commitment to the development of new work in American theater with the 2017-18 Playwright’s Forum and Masterclass Series. During October and November, Theatre Lab will once again welcome some of the nation’s most notable playwrights to share readings of their newest plays followed by a discussion about the work, their process and the importance of new-play development. In addition, on the Sunday following the Playwright’s Forum, playwrights will offer a 90-minute workshop designed to guide participants through the various stages of playwriting. Participants in the Masterclass Series will be encouraged to use the series to develop their own short plays which will be eligible for submission to Theatre Lab’s New Play Festival in January 2018. All events take place at Theatre Lab in Parliament Hall, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus. Tickets and more information can be found at www.fauevents.com or by calling 561-297-6124.
First up is a festival-style celebration of the work of Pulitzer Prize-winner Nilo Cruz. Cruz received the Pulitzer in 2003 for his play “Anna in the Tropics,” a drama set in 1930s Ybor City (Tampa), which tells the story of a family of cigar makers dealing with the Depression. Events include:
- Friday, Oct. 6, 7:30 p.m.: Reading of Cruz’s play “Sotto Voce,” a play that revisits the fate of the Jewish people on the St. Louis who were turned away from Cuba and The United States during World War II ($20)
- 5:30 p.m. Free lecture by FAU Professor Patricia Kollander on the history of the St. Louis.
- Saturday, Oct. 7, 2 p.m.: Reading of Cruz’s monologues “East and West of the War,” three monologues all set in Afghanistan ($20)
- Saturday, Oct. 7, 7:30 p.m.: Reading of Cruz’s play “Alice N.,” a play that tells the story of artist Alice Neel ($20)
- 4:30 p.m. Free lecture with FAU Professor Karen Leader on Alice Neel titled "Anarchic Humanist"
- Sunday, Oct. 8, 10 a.m.: Masterclass with Nilo Cruz ($30)
All Nilo Cruz events are available for a package price of $75 by calling 561-297-6124. All events are FREE for students. For more information about Theatre Lab, visit www.fau.edu/theatrelab.