Pi Delta Phi
NATIONAL FRENCH HONOR SOCIETY
CELEBRATES 100 YEARS!!
Founded at the University of California, Berkeley in 1906, Pi Delta Phi, the National French Honor Society, celebrates its 100th anniversary this year.
FAU’s chapter of Pi Delta Phi (called Kappa Rho) was founded in 1990, and since then it sponsored numerous French cultural events, including French Film Nights, troubadour concerts, and the Prix Littré which recognize the best student essays and creative writing of the year.
Pi Delta Phi’s goals are:
- to recognize outstanding scholarship in French language, literature, and culture;
- to increase knowledge of and appreciation for the cultural contributions of the French speaking world; and
- to encourage French and francophone cultural activities.
Nomination to Pi Delta Phi signals strong academic achievement in at least one semester or quarter of upper-division French. Undergraduate nominees who have taken (or are currently taking) at least one course in French literature, and who have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in French, are eligible for membership. Graduate nominees who are candidates for an advanced degree (MA, MAT, or PhD) are automatically eligible for membership.
Pi Delta Phi sponsors several French-specific scholarships designed to enable undergraduate members of an active chapter to continue their studies of French. Any student who is a US citizen or permanent resident, who is a member of an active Pi Delta Phi chapter, and who is currently enrolled in an undergraduate program? is eligible to apply for one of the following scholarships:
- Full summer session tuition at The American University of Paris
- Full summer session tuition at the Bryn Mawr Program in Avignon;
- Full tuition scholarship funded by the National Dean’s List and Pi Delta Phi
You can find more information on Pi Delta Phi’s scholarship opportunities here, at their national website.
For information on how to become a member of FAU’s chapter of Pi Delta Phi, or on upcoming activities hosted by Pi Delta Phi, contact the chapter president, Erica Mandell-Cascio (email@example.com). Venez nombreux!