The National Day on Writing raises awareness of the primacy of writing in our lives.
As the National Council of Teachers of English website notes:
every walk of life
every kind of work
, and at
write more than
ever before for personal , professional , and civic purposes . ...
More and more people in all occupations deem writing as essential."
October 20th is celebrated as The National Day on Writing:
- in light of the significance of writing in our national life
- to draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in
- to help writers from all walks of life recognize how important writing is to their lives.
This day on writing :
- emphasizes the lifelong process of learning to write and to compose for different audiences, purposes, and occasions
- encourages Americans to write and enjoy and learn from the writing of others.
The University Center for Excellence in Writing hosts several writing-related activities each year. Check out some of our archives!