What services does the University Center for Excellence in Writing (UCEW) offer?
Who may use the UCEW?
Who provides consulting services?
Where is the UCEW located?
When is the UCEW open?
How can I make an appointment with a writing consultant?
What should I bring to a writing conference?
What is the cost of using the UCEW?
1. What services does the University Center for Excellence in Writing (UCEW) offer?
- Writing consultants help writers at any point of the writing process (i.e. brainstorming, drafting, revision) with a variety of documents: papers for courses, senior or master theses, dissertations, job applications, applications for graduate school, articles for publication, grant proposals, course syllabi, among other documents.
- Consultants help writers understand assignments, generate ideas, and flesh out weak or biased arguments.
- Consultants help writers identify and address patterns of error in sentence structure, mechanics, grammar, and documentation format, as well as share proven proofreading strategies.
- Consultants will provide consultations for creative writers and their writing projects.
2. Who may use the UCEW?
- Our services are available to all members of the FAU community: full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students, staff, faculty, and visiting scholars.
3. Who provides consulting services?
- Services are provided by nationally certified FAU graduate assistants and peer consultants.
4. Where is the UCEW located?
- Our main Boca site is located in the General Classroom South (GS) room 215.
- The Davie site is located in room 121 of the Liberal Arts Building.
- The Jupiter site is located in room 146B of the Student Resources Building
5. When is the UCEW open?
- Please, log in to our scheduling system using this link. Once you log in, you will be able to see our schedule through the end of the semester for all sites.
- In general, the UCEW main center on the Boca Campus is open Monday-Thursday from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, and Sunday from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Please note that we cannot guarantee available appointments during operating hours since the majority of our appointments are booked in advanced through the online schedule system. However, we do take walk-ins if consultants do not have an appointment scheduled.
- Hours at Jupiter and Davie vary by semester and consultant availability.
6. How can I make an appointment with a writing consultant?
- Please go to our website to make an appointment .
- In order to see all availabilities for all tutors in the next two weeks, only choose your center and your section (class) and just click search. Do not edit any of the other parameters.
- We do work with writers on a walk-in basis, but writers with appointments are helped before walk-ins.
7. What should I bring to a writing conference?
- You should bring a copy of your assignment/task, your current draft and disc, and any relevant texts and/or articles.
- If you are referred to the UCEW, be sure to bring the draft containing your instructor's comments.
8. What is the cost of using the UCEW?
- Services are free to all students, staff, faculty, and visiting scholars.