Graduate Student Travel Policy - FAQ
- What can I receive travel funds for?
- Students can receive travel funding for three (3) primary objectives:
- Present at or attend a conference, convention, seminar, workshop or professional event related to your studies
- Per the student travel procedure policy, Part III., A: Students who are traveling to an event that is required for an academic program which the student receives credit for are not eligible for travel reimbursement.
- When do I turn in my travel application?
- See the following link: http://www.fau.edu/studenttravel/notification/
- What do I include in my travel application?
- Each traveler must read the Student Travel Policy. Download the Student Travel Procedures
- If traveling internationally, students are required to register with the Education Abroad office and to purchase the university-approved international health and travel insurance for the duration of official programming or activities.
- Gather the following information:
- If receiving funding the above in addition to the following:
- Each traveler must complete online travel training. Visit www.fau.edu/asab and under Training, select Sign up For Student Travel Training (Once per year)
- Complete Graduate Travel Checklist. Download Checklist
- Confirmation of Presenting or Competing (if applicable)
- Proof of Estimated Cost (i.e. hotel, airfare, registration, rental car, shuttle/taxi, gas, etc.)
- Mapped mileage via Google maps, showing point of origin to destination if you plan on using your own vehicle
- A one-page abstract on your presentation/performance.
- It is the University’s policy to have an approved travel Spend Authorization in Workday, the University’s finance system, prior to departure. Immediately, upon receiving a travel award letter, each traveler, that is an employee of the University, must delegate the ASAB office the ability to create Spend Authorizations and Expense Report on his/her behalf in Workday. Information on completing the delegation process will be provided in your award correspondence. (NOTE: If you are currently employed at the University, your current supervisor will be required to approve the delegation.)
- What expenses are eligible for reimbursement?
- Airfare & Baggage Fees
- Lodging Cost – with itemized receipts showing you as the guest
- Registration Fees
- Rental Car - Must be Enterprise (Students may use other rental car companies if a justification is provided) - showing you as the renter
- Gas, if driving a rental car
- Parking, if driving a rental car
- taxi, subway, shuttle
- What expenses are not eligible for reimbursement?
- Food or other per diem costs
- Membership Fees
- Expenses reimbursed someone else or paid by a department
- Expense booked through discount travel agencies (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) that are not itemized will not be reimbursed. If requesting reimbursement from a discount travel agency, please include the breakdown of all expenses.
- Expenses where hotel receipts do not include official hotel letterhead and are not itemized will not be reimbursed; hotel receipts must include a daily breakdown of expenses, including room rate & all taxes. (If sharing a room, students must request a separate breakdown of the hotel expenses for each person, please inform hotel that you will be splitting costs prior to check in.)
- Reward points/miles, prepaid gas receipts and handwritten receipts are not acceptable or eligible for reimbursement.
- Anything not listed in the previous "eligible expenses" question is not eligible for reimbursement.
- Where do I turn in my travel application?
Apply online by submitting GPSA Travel Application Request via the link at the bottom of the page.
- How am I reimbursed?
Apply online by submitting a Travel Reimbursement Request.
Please keep your Badges and your Agenda/Schedule. At present time, both are required for reimbursement.
- How much funding can I receive?
- Each student is eligible to receive up to $800.00 per fiscal year. Students can receive funding for up to two (2) trips per fiscal year.
- Maximum award amounts per trip:
- Primary Author Presenting or Research Travel:
- International (outside of the United States) = $800
- Domestic (United States)
- Out of State travel = $800
- In State Travel = $400
- Attending or Secondary Author Presenting:
- International (outside the United States) = $200
- Domestic (United States) = $200
- Primary Author Presenting or Research Travel:
Please note the award amounts listed are maximums, not guaranteed rates. All applications are reviewed by the GPSA Travel Committee with the intention to assist the most students in the greatest capacity possible.
- Where can I travel?
GPSA funds graduate student travel all across Florida, the United States and international locations. Please review the US Department of State Travel Warning List for international destinations which require review and pre-approval by the Florida Atlantic University Travel Safety & Security Committee.
If your destination is on the Travel Warning List, please notify GPSA Travel at the time of your application's submission or email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
- What if I am not requesting funding from GPSA to travel; do I still need to get approval to travel?
Fill out a Notification to Travel form if you are not requesting funding. This is especially important for students traveling to international locations on the US Department of State Travel Warning List, for you will need to have your travel approved.
- Who is eligible to receive travel funding from GPSA?
All half time, degree-seeking graduate & professional students taking a minimum of 3 graduate credits in the Fall and Spring and in the Summer.
Students applying for GPSA travel funding must be in good academic standing. Students also cannot have a past due balance with the university or be on conduct probation.
***GPSA Travel encourages students to apply ahead of the application deadlines so they may amend and submit any missing documentation. Applications received past the deadline will not be considered for travel and will be denied.***