Back to School Cyber Security Tips
For the Latest in Cyber Security tips to be Smart and Secure Online click
. Please feel free to
with any questions.
How to Protect Yourself
The following are some guidelines that could help you to run a secure environment. Please feel free to
with any questions.
Safe Computing at FAU
Security is one of those things that we all hear about and think is a good thing, but then we tend to let someone else worry about it. Although FAU has taken many steps to make its data and network secure, you need to be aware that what you do can put yourself, or at least your computer, at risk. A little bit of forethought on your part can go a very long way.
First, a few
- Never give out personal information (Social Security number, birthday, driver's license, any account number or password, etc.) to anyone who asks for it online, especially via e-mail. It is very easy for people to send e-mail that appears to be from a FAU OIT Staff, from a bank or other institution as a means of getting sensitive information. This kind of activity is called Phishing.
(**Note** FAU offices will never send you and email asking you to verify your personal information (ID, Password, Z-number, etc. or to reset your account!!!)
Contact Us if you receive a Phishing Email. Please don't click on any Links in the email or click on any Attachments.
- Protect your Identity and all Personal Indentifiable Information (PII)
- Never put your personal information, even your birthday, on any online site, such as Facebook or MySpace.
- Set a Strong Password
- Never give your
to anyone or allow someone to log onto your account.
- Never write your password and leave it in a place where someone will find it (such as taped to the bottom of your keyboard, computer, or monitor).
- Keep you Antivirus and Operating System Security Software Updated
Now some DOs
- Use anti-virus software to protect your computer from viruses and other harmful programs (known as malware).
- Use pop-up blockers in your web browser to help protect your computer from spyware (but be sure to allow pop-ups from the FAU domain since MyFAU and Blackboard both use them).
- Spyware software that you may want to use and safely download from the internet at no charge are: