Special Consideration for Housing and Residential Life
In order for a student to request special consideration for housing due to a disability, the student must be registered with Student Accessibility Services. Then, if applicable, the student’s SAS counselor will write a letter to housing supporting special consideration.
The student must register with SAS by June 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring, in order for the request to be considered.
Examples of housing accommodations include, but are not limited to:
- Single studio apartment and a split bathroom (Boca only)
- Automatic door for room
- Request for an emotional support animal
- Accessible shower
Examples of students who might be eligible for housing accommodations:
- A student with Autism Spectrum Disorder who finds it stressful to have social interaction would be eligible for a single bedroom.
- A blind student with a dog guide might require a single studio apartment for larger space needs.
- A student with Crohn’s Disease might require a single bedroom with a floor plan consisting of a split bathroom.
- A student may require a room with certain physical accessible features, such as accessible shower stalls, special cabinets or stoves.
- A student who is deaf would require a strobe light on the fire alarm and doorbell.
- A student who has limited mobility might require a special door key.
- A student with a serious medical condition may require a single bedroom.
** Note: Students with ADHD would not necessarily be eligible for a single private room, as the university provides many study areas.
**Decisions are made based on documentation from appropriate physician, psychologist or psychiatrist.
Boca Housing Office- SH 215
Housing Business Office 561.297.2880
Jupiter Housing Office- MC 108