Animal Subjects (IACUC)
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
The IACUC is a faculty committee charged with carrying out the important task of research compliance related to animal care and use in research. All teaching, research, and exhibition involving vertebrate animal species, regardless of funding source, are under the purview of the FAU IACUC. Research Integrity assists the IACUC and our researchers by providing day-to-day administrative management of 100 new and continuing IACUC protocols.
- Providing pre-submission consultation to faculty and students for IACUC proposals.
- Coordinating monthly committee meetings and daily designated reviews of IACUC proposals.
- Interacting with IACUC members, FAU faculty and students, to resolve IACUC review concerns.
- Developing policies, procedures, and guidance documents.
- Issuing IACUC approvals for new and continuing studies as well as amendments and related other actions.
- Providing training on humane care and use of animals in research, teaching, and exhibition.
- Coordinating semi-annual inspections of University animal facilities.
- Maintaining the university s federal assurances and providing regular updates/reports.
- Interfacing with Division of Research offices to ensure coordination, consistency and compliance at all levels.
- Interacting with regulatory agencies to address site inspections and permitting issues.
- Resolving non-compliance issues related to the protection of animal subjects.
In addition to managing the IRB and IACUC functions, Research Integrity provides input and coordination on related issues involving Conflict of Interest, Good Clinical Practices, and clinical research monitoring.
Please direct questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Florida Atlantic University s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) has been established in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act and Public Health Service Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Animals.
The committee is composed of individuals dedicated to the humane care of animals used in research and teaching, and provides oversight and assistance in ensuring compliance to all laws, regulations, and policies governing the care and use of research and teaching animals. FAU s IACUC is composed of scientists, non-scientists, veterinarians and community members who are appointed by the Vice President for Research, the Institutional Official responsible for the animal care and use program. FAU's animal care and use program is regulated by both the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Public Health Service.
University employees and students using animals in research, teaching or display must have IACUC approval to do so.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Research Integrity IACUC Coordinator at 561.297.4992.