Process to Develop the QEP
We are currently in the planning stages of the QEP. Since June 2011, the QEP Executive committee, Steering Committee and subsequent Sub-committee members (made up of faculty, staff students and administrators from all colleges and several campuses) have successfully identified goals, objectives and learning outcomes of the QEP and have established a preliminary action plan and timeline to carry-out these goals. These plans include providing more opportunities for students and faculty to engage in research, inquiry and creative activity.
Below we outline a list of accomplished milestones in the development of the QEP.
- Identified the leader for the QEP development (Dr. Donna Chamely-Wiik, Director of the QEP)
- Participated in the Honors Education Task Force who’s mission was to increase the number of high ability students who choose to attend Florida Atlantic University because of its honors opportunities
- Established two Faculty Learning Communities on topics related to the QEP and engaged those faculty in discussions about our QEP plans in development
- Identified members of the QEP development team (QEP Steering Committee and the QEP Student Committee)
- Steering and Student Committee members determined an appropriate time frame for implementation of the plan (5 years):
- Determined actions, persons responsible, expected outcomes, potential costs
- Evaluated potential actions and selected a set of actions that support the topic, provide the appropriate focus, and are resource feasible
- Identified alternate actions that may substitute depending on resource availability
- Provided frequent contacts with the university community to ensure its awareness of the QEP and its importance
- Created a multi-year budget to support the QEP including both administrative support as well as direct support of implementation action
- Maintained constant communication with the university community regarding the progress of the QEP plans
- Established an assessment committee and recruited an assessment coordinator to develop plans for evaluating our QEP
- Identified clear measure for improvement in student learning and established an assessment plan for the QEP
- Developed and implemented a management structure for implementation of the QEP that will ensure effective administration of the QEP, monitoring progress, and reporting
- Developed and implemented a marketing plan in partnership with Marketing and Creative Services .
- Continued collaborations with partner programs such as: University Libraries , Student Government , eLearning , Instructional Design , University Center for Excellence in Writing , Scholarship of Teaching and Learning , Marketing & Creative Services and the Division of Research .
- Piloted curricular, co-curricular, and recognition initiatives associated with the QEP
The QEP Committee is pleased to announce a final drafte of the QEP document is available for viewing. It has already been reviewed and endorsed by the university community.
As we continue to implement the initiatives of the Quality Enhancement Plan, the QEP steering committee is in the process of:
- Developing guidelines for the Curriculum Grants Program, to be launched in February of 2013
- Updating guidelines for the Undergraduate Research Grants Program (to include group projects), to be implemented in February of 2013
- Expanding the Undergraduate Research Symposium (April 2013) to include broad representations of students from all colleges
- Showcasing students and faculty involved in undergaduate research and inquiry
- Compiling a clearnighouse of research and inquiry opportunities for faculty and students to engage in
- Establishing an Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI)
We are very proud of our accomplishments thus far and are excited to expand this culture of undergraduate research and inquiry!