OWL Parents Association
CALL FOR CANDIDATES
Greetings to all FAU Owl Parent Association members. The governance of the Owl Parent Association (OPA) is through the Parent Advisory Board. There are ten members of the Board (five Officers and five members at large). This year, based on approval of the OPA membership, the slate of OPA board members for the Owl Parent Association Parent Advisory Board consists of all current dues-paying members. The general election of board members will be done electronically. Officers will be selected by the elected board members after the general election. The five Officer positions and their respective responsibilities are:
- President: presides over all Association and Board meetings, represents the Organization at public events, and performs other duties as needed to the office. The President shall have general charge of and control over the affairs of the Association, subject to such regulations and restrictions the Parent Advisory board shall from time to time determine. The President shall coordinate the award selection process of the Association and work with the New Student and Owl Family Program office in coordinating the annual Parents’ Calendar. This position is a non-voting position, with the President voting only in the case of a tie.
- Vice President of Programs and Special Events: act as a parliamentarian at all meetings, and oversees event committees (such as but not limited to Parent and Family Weekends, Parents Academy and Homecoming). This position shall serve in the absence of the President on all matters relating to the Association.
- Vice President of Membership & Operations: oversees programs which promote membership relations through campus open houses, new student orientations, mentor program, and summer send offs. In addition, this position will coordinate the distribution of membership cards and other related membership benefits.
- Vice President of Strategic Planning: facilitates in the creation and execution of goals and objectives of the FAU Owl Parent Association. Works with the other Board members and the FAU OPA Advisors to monitor progress of goals and objectives and modifies programs or plans as required. Helps to make sure that the OPA budget, programs and Board are focused on the Mission of the OPA.
- Secretary/Treasurer: serve as historian, record all meeting minutes, and forward minutes to the Board for approval. Keep record of all discretionary funds and assists the FAU OPA Advisor with the budget.
- Board members at large consist of five members who work with all Officers and support the Mission of the OPA.
Please visit the OPA website at: www.fau.edu/parents to view the OPA Constitution for more details.
The purpose of the Parent Advisory Board is to plan, direct, and support the programs of the Owl Parent Association and through the Association, to support the education mission of Florida Atlantic University.
We need your help to continue the success of the OPA. Please consider responding to our “Call for Candidates” as you can make a difference!
If you are interested, please submit a brief statement about yourself (bio), a self photo, and why you are running for the Board electronically to:
Chris Hall Lynch
Director, Parent and Family Programs
Deadline for submission is August 28, 2014, at 5 p.m. A slate of candidates will be sent to the OPA general membership that week. August 29 – September 7 will be our electronic General Election.
Statement from one of our founding members:
“I have been involved with the Parent Advisory Board for the past 6 years, and it has been a wonderful experience to work with other parents and families offering guidance and assistance when needed to our members. I cannot stress enough the importance of staying connected to your student and FAU through the FAU Owl Parent Association. GO OWLS !”